What's the deal?

Skipcurt

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
Woodstock, GA
Hi all! I live in N. GA and have 5 hens 31 weeks old this week. A Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Welsummer, Speckled Sussex and a Gold Laced Wyandotte.
1st egg - Barred Rock at 21 weeks
2nd egg - Welsummer at 24 weeks
3rd egg - Easter Egger at 26 weeks

Here's the problem. The Welsummer stopped laying eggs about 3 weeks after starting and nothing again. I've checked the pelvic bones and they feel very close again as if she has never laid. Also the Wyandotte and Sussex still have not given up any eggs. What's the deal?

They are mostly cooped with some free ranging 1-2 hrs/day a few times/wk. Their food is Dumor 16% Layer Feed Crumble. Treats are fruits/veggies and dried mealworms maybe once a week.

Last edited:
Well, it stinks, but it can happen...shortening days can bring things to halt even with young birds.
They're too young to molt....tho I had a 9mo wellie do a partial molt her first fall/winter.

I'd try adding some higher protein feed, starter or grower 18-20%
How long have you been feeding layer?

Supplemental lighting may help...but it's not like flipping a switch-haha!

Hi all! I live in N. GA and have 5 hens 31 weeks old this week. A Barred Rock, Easter Egger, Welsummer, Speckled Sussex and a Gold Laced Wyandotte.
1st egg - Barred Rock at 21 weeks
2nd egg - Welsummer at 24 weeks
3rd egg - Easter Egger at 26 weeks

Here's the problem. The Welsummer stopped laying eggs about 3 weeks after starting and nothing again. I've checked the pelvic bones and they feel very close again as if she has never laid. Also the Wyandotte and Sussex still have not given up any eggs. What's the deal?

They are mostly cooped with some free ranging 1-2 hrs/day a few times/wk. Their food is Dumor 16% Layer Feed Crumble. Treats are fruits/veggies and dried mealworms maybe once a week.
My Wellies seem spotty too. New layers. Had a couple eggs no shell as well. Hopefully Spring will remedy this. My girls are about 28 wks.

Back
Top Bottom