What's the Difference Between Ascites and Egg Yolk Peritonitis?

Letty1

Chirping
Jun 24, 2022
Hello, I have a hen (Jules) who is beginning to display a concerning symptom I've seen before in my flock. Her abdomen area feels swollen, and I've been wondering if she could have Egg Yolk Peritonitis or something else like Ascites. Any advice and information would be helpful, thanks!

Sometimes it is hard to know exactly what is causing swelling in the lower abdomen until a necropsy can be performed on the body after death. Symptoms may give a clue, such as if the hen is still laying eggs, having abnormal eggs, or has stopped. Is the lower belly full and firm, squishy or spongy? Egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying can cause ascites or water belly as a side effect. So can cancer or fatty liver disease. How old is the hen? Is her tail up or down? I have had hens who had swollen lower bellies and who lived a couple of years. I always open their bellies for a necropsy when I lose one. Taking pictures of the organs can help with a diagnosis.

Sometimes it is hard to know exactly what is causing swelling in the lower abdomen until a necropsy can be performed on the body after death. Symptoms may give a clue, such as if the hen is still laying eggs, having abnormal eggs, or has stopped. Is the lower belly full and firm, squishy or spongy? Egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying can cause ascites or water belly as a side effect. So can cancer or fatty liver disease. How old is the hen? Is her tail up or down? I have had hens who had swollen lower bellies and who lived a couple of years. I always open their bellies for a necropsy when I lose one. Taking pictures of the organs can help with a diagnosis.
Thanks for the reply! Her lower belly feels firm, but not completely hard. She is 3 years old, and her tail is still up, but not carried super high. I watched a video on how to treat a hen with Egg Yolk Peritonitis, and a pill-like substance was used to treat a hen. It's called Calf Scour Bolus (oxytetracycline). It is meant for use in cattle, but in the video, it was used to help improve the hen's condition. Does anyone know if and/or have had experience using this product to help hens with reproductive disorders?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Calf Scour Bolus (oxytetracycline) for use in hens with reproductive disorders?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Calf Scour Bolus (oxytetracycline) for use in hens with reproductive disorders?
I don't know about hens but I believe that oxytetracycline went to prescription only in the USA and Canada. If you don't have a good relationship with a vet it might be hard to get your hands on it.

To update, the hen actually seems to be doing alright. She's still acting very normal and doesn't appear to be suffering. I continue to feel her abdomen frequently, and it still feels a bit firm and round, so I'm not sure what that means. I'm just grateful she's still alive and hopefully healthy.

Back
Top Bottom