What's the difference between Delaware, Columbian Rock and Light Sussex

polarbearpilot

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2012
I thought I turn to the pros on this board and ask my question. I recently adopted a grown hen. It looks like a Delaware, so I thought it was, but just now I saw pictures of a Light Sussex and a Columbian Rock and those two look just like my hen, too. So, now I don't know what breed my hen is. It is about 4-5 lbs or so, not a heavy bird.

Can anyone tell me the difference between those 3 types of chicken?

Thanks

Grace

I thought I turn to the pros on this board and ask my question. I recently adopted a grown hen. It looks like a Delaware, so I thought it was, but just now I saw pictures of a Light Sussex and a Columbian Rock and those two look just like my hen, too. So, now I don't know what breed my hen is. It is about 4-5 lbs or so, not a heavy bird.

Can anyone tell me the difference between those 3 types of chicken?

Thanks

Grace
1. The Delaware looks like a Light Sussex but carries the barring gene, which can be seen in the black parts of the Delaware. It has rich yellow legs and feet. The undercolor is white to the skin. Can be either eWh or eb locus. I suspect, since undercolor is white to the skin in APA birds, that APA Delaware are eWh locus.
2. The Light Sussex is a classic Columbian poultry with a black and white pallette (no barring). The Light Sussex is based on the eWh locus and the undercolor is white to the skin. It has pinkish white legs and feet.
3. The Columbian Rock is based on the eb (Brown) locus. (no barring) The eb locus has a bluish-slate undercolor in its plumage. It has yellow legs and feet.
Use these pointers to see which breed you have.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
"
1. The Delaware looks like a Light Sussex but carries the barring gene, which can be seen in the black parts of the Delaware. It has rich yellow legs and feet. The undercolor is white to the skin. Can be either eWh or eb locus. I suspect, since undercolor is white to the skin in APA birds, that APA Delaware are eWh locus.
2. The Light Sussex is a classic Columbian poultry with a black and white pallette (no barring). The Light Sussex is based on the eWh locus and the undercolor is white to the skin. It has pinkish white legs and feet.
3. The Columbian Rock is based on the eb (Brown) locus. (no barring) The eb locus has a bluish-slate undercolor in its plumage. It has yellow legs and feet.
Use these pointers to see which breed you have.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

What does "eWh or eb locus" stand for? Looking for Delaware and don't want to get tricked.

Back
Top Bottom