whats the earliest youve had a chicken lay?

well now that i have at least 2 of the 4 hens popping these tiny little eggs out, i have come to realize that the nesting boxes do not appeal to them. they are dropping these bad boys all over flat wood shelving. so far of the 5 eggs they have dropped ... three have busted.

any advice on sprucing up the nesting boxes to appeal for the hens to "do their business inside of them"

i am removing the shelf 9 i used it to store stack of straw.

YAY ... we got our first egg two days ago. odd though she (which ever one of the 4 hens) skipped a day then laid another. i found another one this morning, but it was busted. seems she is refusing to goto nesting boxes. i have 2 sets now. one set is up high where the rest on the roosts and the other is about 12 inches off the ground. i guess there needs to be a bit or re-arranging to ensure the safety..

we have been waiting to use this backet for quite some time. 7:
thats such a nice looking one! all we have are wicker baskets where did you find that?

Pretty basket! Mine are now 20 weeks and no eggs yet. They won't eat their feed either unless I put it outside with them! It's cooler in their henhouse and I don't want those little wrens robbing food. I bribed them yesterday with a fewdried mealworms sprinkled on it and they all ate until I thought they would explode.

O we r hitting our stride. Now pumping out eggs and just about to sit down for our first breakfast enjoying the fruits of our labors. So the first egg came at 17 weeks. Funny is that they started out about the size of pigeon eggs, then up to guinea eggs now come the big ones. The largest is the most recent. I kept the store bought egg for sizing them all up.

Very happy for my little birds

45b39aa2-e68d-32a0.jpg

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Local resale shop close to home is where the basket came from. Only spent about 3 bucks for it. Just glad to take out the decoration fake eggs and fill it somewhat with the real deal.

Thank you to everyone for advice and information regarding all our troubles.

We have battled rodents, fighting roosters, seizing ducks, ravens, over-heating, nesting box location, run protection and now it's turning around for us. I think when cost is pit into the equation these 4 eggs cost about 135.00 a piece. Haha. Talk about golden eggs, I take the Brown color as a start.

Thanx again all.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I bought mine on April 11th and 24th. The ones I bought on the 24th. They surprised me with a egg on the ground Tuesday. I was like whoa! Then Wednesday thinking Tuesday was a fluke I got another egg by one of the others! Thinking they wouldn't lay so early, I haven't yet built them a nest box. That puts them at 14 weeks old! Oh, by the way I'm sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom