Whats the earliest?

CrowinKing

Songster
12 Years
Nov 29, 2007
PA
I was wondering what the earliest chicks can got outside? I have them in the brooder right now there 3wks now, just wondering.

I asked a similar question and seems like several people were taking them out as of about a week old. Mine are going *out* for the first time tomorrow, @ 3 wks old, because I have to clean the brooder and it's gonna be warm out.

Should be fun!

Last edited:
mine are a week and 1/2 and are joining me tomorrow when I finally plant my veggie garden. But they are going right back in their brooder when I'm done.

The first week my chicks get time outside on the ground for about an hour at a time on very warm days. The next week they get more time every day. Exposure to the dirt helps them to start building a healthy immune system.

It depends on where you live and what your low nightly temps are. Chicks need to stay at 90-95°F for the first week, then less 5 °F each week after that. If, at 3 weeks, your temps are staying at about 75°F, then I'd say they could probably go outside. But I'd keep them inside and safe until they're mostly feathered - 6-8 weeks, then give them daily jaunts outside until they're used to it.
We're still dipping into the 40s at night here, so only my 10 week olds are turned loose to fend for themselves in the hen house. The object is to keep them warm. Their little bodies lose so much heat when they're babies.
smile.png

See tygab's thread on basically the same question here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=60822
(Hope you don't mind my sharing that tygab)
If the weather is nice, take them out now. At 3 weeks I would only take them out on sunny days, not overcast or too windy.
As far as moving them to the coop goes, if you can keep the temp. at the appropriate range for their age (@ 3 weeks should be 80 - 85) and the coop is draft free they can live there.

Back
Top Bottom