whats the easiest way to find a new home for roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenSchool, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ChickenSchool

ChickenSchool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I have two polish bantams that need to go. For those that were unable to have chickens for dinner, what's the easiest method for finding a home for roosters. We are new to backyard chickens and apparently I don't have enough posts to post in the buy/sell area here. I sent a message to our 4-H group and a local poultry contact to see if they know of anyone who would want them. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'd try craigslist. Seems to be the most-used method! [​IMG]

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I'd do Craigslist too- although keep in mind CL folks are probably going to eat him. At least when I collect up free CL roosters, that's what I want them for. If you're choosy about homes, you might have a harder time finding him a home, but try and add some "cutesy" elements to your ad and you may find him a great home!

4. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Quote:Unable to have chicken for dinner? Do you mean alergic or vegatarian? Or just don't want to be the butcher?

Yep I agree that CL people that get free roos are more than likely gonna eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by