What's the oldest you've had a duck start to quack??

My duck math / duck ratio ain't lookin good! I'm thinking I might have 7 drakes and only 2 hens😭
That was almost the same sitch I had last fall, 5 drakes and 2 hens. Been working ever since trying to fix it. Such a pain! I hope you’re wrong and have some more hens in there!

Boy ducks whisper, girl ducks are loud, at least when they are older.
Sorry, no one mentioned whispering to my 4 pekin drakes!!! They are incredibly noisy. Did I say loud? Ok, my son has one pekin female who is louder; as is his second pekin when alarmed, although she is silent for most of the time!!! The quality of their voice is certainly different. But, except for my 2 muscovy, my drakes do not whisper!!

Last edited:
My duck math / duck ratio ain't lookin good! I'm thinking I might have 7 drakes and only 2 hens😭
would you be willing to keep an all drake flock? if you want to rehome any ducks girls are more likely to find a nice home that’ll take good care of them. an all drake flock will get along much better without any girls too :)

i have 2 separate flocks because my ratio is super off (3 drakes 2 hens) and i love them all/could never rehome them, but if i were to ever get ducks again i would not get anymore girls. boys are quieter, no egg issues, less health problems

would you be willing to keep an all drake flock? if you want to rehome any ducks girls are more likely to find a nice home that’ll take good care of them. an all drake flock will get along much better without any girls too :)

i have 2 separate flocks because my ratio is super off (3 drakes 2 hens) and i love them all/could never rehome them, but if i were to ever get ducks again i would not get anymore girls. boys are quieter, no egg issues, less health problems
Well we got ducks for the purpose of eggs, so we do plan to rehome the males. Thankfully we are in Lakeside, Ca and have a lot of people with ducks here. I have 1 friend who is willing to take males, not sure if she'd be willing to take 7 though😬 I also have a neighbor with ducks who might want some males. She keeps her males & females separate so....

Back
Top Bottom