Whats the point of...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken_noob, Jul 4, 2011.

1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    For arguments sake we have a 100% predator proof chicken run/coop. What's the point of putting them in the coop at night? The chickens seem smart at times but are they to dumb to go in the coop if its cold? Thanks for any input

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Mine go in because (I assume) that's where their roosts are. The door isn't closed though.

3. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Natural instinct is to roost up off of the ground. If they can't get to their roost they will make do but don't really like to bed down on the ground. The pen may be predator proof to you but to them the ground after dark is not safe. Mine can come and go as they please and they are in their coop and on the highest roost before dusk. The EE have never joined the coop flock and at night roost in the rafters of the barn but come down for breakfast at daylight and join the rest of the gang when they come out of the hen house.

4. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I don't even close mine in at night cause it's all safe for them in the run and in the shelter

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My yards and coops are predator proof too. I have an electric fence around them. I leave the pop doors open 24/7. I have heard critters touch the wire and they don't come back to try it out again. The birds go into the coops and roost even though I have ladders in their yards for them to climb on.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    The coop is, I presume, a semi-closed area with a roof - that's important for sleeping in cold weather. Chickens need to be out of cold drafts when asleep. Though my coop is what others would call a run: a wire dog kennel with a tarp on top and plastic on three sides in winter. Outer perimeter security is provided by a big dog.

Though this is definitely not resistant to several kinds of predators, notably snakes! I wouldn't consider a run secure unless it was made completely of secure hardware cloth, with wire skirts, a sturdy framework, and a covered top. And if you have bears or really determined dogs you'd need electric fencing.

7. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Thanks for the replys. Since summer is here I really don't have a real coop yet. I am trying to keep my chickens in there own lil flocks.. mostly in small grps of 3-5 of the same breed. My "coop" will be the back section of my shop. We have the roof extending about 20' back and so we have a covered section that is pretty weather proof. In the corner I built a small pen that's about 3'x6' for their food and for them to sleep in..the "coop" I have now is more of a fancy nesting box but since they are small and wont be laying for a couple months they have it for a coop. They just want to go in it. So I just put them in it at night and shut the door till morning. By this fall/winter well have the back section sided and perhaps have a.small wood stove to keep em warm. I'll try to post a pic of what I have for now so I can get some input on what I should have done. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by