What's the prime butchering age in bantam roos, and standard roos?

clucknpeck

Songster
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
The day is coming near... I have three roosters crowing and I suspect 4 more. I think we will be culling and eating 1 Ameraucana, 1 wyandotte, and 3 bantam roosters. I have given them a wonderful life and have come to terms with it. So, how long should I wait? They are about. 12 weeks right now, 2 of the bantams about 8 weeks. I was also wondering, are bantams even good for eating?

Last edited:
I've just recent processed 5 bantam roosters, 9 months - 1 year old. Final process wieght with neck and skin was 14 ounces - 1 pound. All of them in the crock pot will make a meal, all dark meat, robust and delicious ( a bit of work for one meal). As for the Ameraucanas and Wyandotte at twelve weeks they are still building thier frame. They could be used for broilers but will finish quite small. Holding them until 18 weeks +/- they may reach 2 1/2 - 3 pounds all cleaned up, then used for fryers or small roasting birds. Generally those breeds don't exceed 5 #'s and 7 #'s live wieght respectively and that would be breeder stock around 12 months. If they are not too aggressive and you can tolerate the noise then hold them even longer (7 - 10 months) for a slow cooked, better tasting dish! Coq au Vin

Thank you for your response! I think I can hold off on processing them so long as my neighbors continue not to mind the crowing.

Back
Top Bottom