What's The "Smartest" Thing You've Seen a Chicken Do?

I can get the more social of my girls to jump in the air for treats.

Only two actually know their name
roll.png

I find it hilarious that they can tell which cats are new and which cats are old. They let my big orange cat sleep in their nesting box, but go on full alert when my kitten sneaks outside.

Chickens do seem to be quite good at recognizing individuals, be it animal or human. I have heard about studies that show various species of birds have the capacity to remember individuals and not surprisingly crows were found to be especially advanced in this regard. Here is a link to a clip from a show on crows: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/a-murder-of-crows/introduction/5838/

By
the way, the Nature series has had some really good shows on birds the last couple of seasons, and you can see the whole shows on the linked site if you want. I really liked the one about wild turkeys from this season which shows how inquisitive they are. Any one who enjoys watching their chickens will probably find these turkeys interesting, too.

I had a couple of expert flying Old English Games named Orville and Willamena (formerly Wilbur before it was clear she was a hen) who would land on my shoulders to get treats before the rest of the flock.

I have an Easter Egger cockerel. His name is Gash and I hatched him from one of my Easter Egger hens and my purebred Mille Fleur D'Uccle rooster, so I guess that also makes him an Easter Egger. I have him trained to fly onto my arm when I call him. Its pretty cool. I don't know if its "smart", as he does it for treats....but he's trained, and I guess that displays "smartness" of some kind. Right?

My roo lets me know when there are turkey vultures in thes sky or when my dog walks up.... I cant say my chickens are smart though.... they eat the peeling paint off my deck....
hmm.png

I think any animal that can devise a plan to get what they want, weather its treats or whatever has got to be at least semi-smart. I know that mine do things that are not learned tricks or a conditioned behavior, because they do somethings that I def. do not encourgage them to do in fact I try to block them at every available opportunity! When I block one avenue they use to get something or somewhere so they can't use that, the will find away around it and get where they want to be everytime! LOL I love to stand back and watch them figure things out, they cock there little heads this way and that and walk around whatever it is there looking at checking out every angle then ......... go for it! Then I have to go in and figure out away to block them again, Its like a chess game LOL! I got some pretty smart dogs, but they atleast give up and let me make the rules, chickens.....they got a mind of their own. ( I do have to admit that some are more enginutive (sp) then others. I like to call them the leaders of the pack! If they figure something out, the others are sure to follow!) You just gotta love em!!

Somehow somebody forgot to mentions that chickens were so fun!

Back
Top Bottom