whats the worst that will happen if goats eat chicken feed?

Quote:
There's good info there, but in my opinion, it's a little heavy on the 'herbal' remedies and leaves out one very, very, VERY important part of the treatment protocol.

If you're treating a goat for urinary calculi, you MUST treat for inflammation along with providing treatment for the stones themselves. At the very least, this means a few rounds of banamine. My suggestion, though, would be one round of banamine and at least a couple/three of days of dexamethasone. The banamine should help bring down the initial swelling, and the dex should effectively halt any further swelling.

Dex is a very potent immune system suppressant (hence the anti-inflammatory action), so it's wise to accompany it with an antibiotic. Good ol' Pen G is probably good enough, especially if it's primarily serving in a preventative capacity. If you're really concerned about a possible infection, or if you think there's already an infection and want something stronger than Pen G, I think Baytril works well in conjunction with Pen...but that's off the top of my head, so be sure to double check with someone who has a big fancy DVM degree on the wall.
gig.gif

In all seriousness, though....trust me on the inflammation thing! We saved a buckling from UC, but he's a 'dribbler' now thanks to permanent damage to his urethra on account of not treating for inflammation in a timely enough manner. It's not just a "probably should" kinda thing -- it's an absolute MUST.

chicken feed is high in copper and if the goats injest large quantities, they are not able to metabolize the copper and become very ill and die quickly. Goats should NEVER have access to chicken feed. It causes ruminal acidosis - death sentence to a goat. Signs may include depression, lack of appetite, bloat, lack of rumination, staggering, diarrhea or lack of manure, muscle twitching, and teeth grinding. Severe rumen acidosis can be accompanied by systemic and often fatal acidosis. Respiratory distress, shock, cardiovascular collapse, coma, seizures and death occur in severe cases.

Last edited:
chicken feed is high in copper and if the goats injest large quantities, they are not able to metabolize the copper and become very ill and die quickly. Goats should NEVER have access to chicken feed. It causes ruminal acidosis - death sentence to a goat. Signs may include depression, lack of appetite, bloat, lack of rumination, staggering, diarrhea or lack of manure, muscle twitching, and teeth grinding. Severe rumen acidosis can be accompanied by systemic and often fatal acidosis. Respiratory distress, shock, cardiovascular collapse, coma, seizures and death occur in severe cases.

Incorrect on the copper. You are mistaking goats for sheep. They are not the same, their physiology is different when it comes to copper needs and metabolism. Sheep cannot have high levels of copper in their diet. Goats need copper in their diet at much higher levels than sheep or they will suffer from copper deficiencies, which are fatal if allowed to become severe.

However, goats should not have access to chicken feed, but not for the copper reason. They do often gorge and bloat on the stuff. It has killed plenty of goats.

You really need to look at the date on a post. The very last post on this thread was in 2010. So it has long since been abandoned. It is poor forum etiquette to resurrect old threads. But it gives me the opportunity to dig out this image:

Do you feel better after scolding me? That info was outer my ver at CSU. Lighen up

If nobody had corrected you, then you might've given harmful information to someone who doesn't know any better. Copper deficiencies in goats are all too common because people feed them feeds and mineral mixes meant for sheep. These contain insufficient levels of copper for a goat to be healthy. Do your own research if it pleases you. Maybe consult a few other vets, specifically ones that specialize in goats and goat nutrition.

My goats get field grazing in the summer, hay in the winter, mixed grasses, some weeds, free access to goat minerals, and baking soda. Grain in any amount above a handful will cause the acidity of their stomachs to get off, I have read it was because they don't chew as much so they are not producing enough saliva, which keeps the acidity down, so unless your milking, or they're nursing, or growing, grain should not be given, it can cause overeaters disease, and they die pretty quick from that. I do give my goats tree trimmings, especially willows, and different shrub trimmings. Goats should not be fat, though some of mine are on a poorer diet, goats are browsers, trees, weeds, bit of grass, grain doesn't belong in there diet, that all being said, they can get a bit of chicken feed and be fine, but I wouldn't make it a habit. This is Just what I do, I've had goats for 25 years plus.

2 goats got about maybe 1 cup each of chicken feed pellets in chicken feeder because of door left open absentmindedly.....may have been up to 6 hours ago....just now found out...after we put them up for the night...I know this is a no no....they seem to be fine...they have alfalfa hay, baking soda, have been eating BOSS....should I just watch and wait? Thank you...

2 goats got about maybe 1 cup each of chicken feed pellets in chicken feeder because of door left open absentmindedly.....may have been up to 6 hours ago....just now found out...after we put them up for the night...I know this is a no no....they seem to be fine...they have alfalfa hay, baking soda, have been eating BOSS....should I just watch and wait? Thank you...
That amount shouldn't cause troubles. Watch for bloating, otherwise mine consume some here and there without problems.

Back
Top Bottom