What's this?!

diatomaceous earth is a good inbetweener but it doesnt worm them although it will keep them at bay ... certain worms wont be effected by the use of it . i would worm her since she has already laid that funky thing it takes 2 weeks before you can eat the eggs afterwards i like Wazine for worming ... some use harsher chemical for worming but i wouldnt suggest it .. who knows what that thing was that she popped out lol.. just keep an eye on her she should be fine

diatomaceous earth is a good inbetweener but it doesnt worm them although it will keep them at bay ... certain worms wont be effected by the use of it . i would worm her since she has already laid that funky thing it takes 2 weeks before you can eat the eggs afterwards i like Wazine for worming ... some use harsher chemical for worming but i wouldnt suggest it .. who knows what that thing was that she popped out lol.. just keep an eye on her she should be fine

Thank you.

I went out to check on her before I left this morning. She rushed into the coop and wanted to get into the egg laying spot, but Violet was there and would not move. Mel (the chicken that laid the funky thing last night) tried to push Violet out of the way, but Violet wasn't having it. I had to leave, so I didn't get to see if she made a regular egg today yet. She seemed pretty determined to get in the egg spot though.

First of all...eggs do not harden further after they are laid.
Either they are fully shelled in the uterus(shell gland), or they are not.

...and DE does nothing to prevent nor eradicate internal parasites.

That white thing that is partially shelled doesn't really look like a lash(coagulated pus from an infection) but cutting it open might offer some clues. Sounds like you did that but didn't take a pic? It looks like hard boiled egg white, not that it is.

Thin shells can have several causes.
But I'd guess that the 'foreign object' impeded upon the next full egg being shelled properly.
If this is a one time thing, I'd not worry but keep an eye on her and her eggs.
If it continues, further investigation and adjustments may be needed.

I just checked the coop. She made a normal egg today. Should I still be concerned about salpingitis?

Attachments

• IMG_8735.JPG
    IMG_8735.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 1
First of all...eggs do not harden further after they are laid.
Either they are fully shelled in the uterus(shell gland), or they are not.

...and DE does nothing to prevent nor eradicate internal parasites.

That white thing that is partially shelled doesn't really look like a lash(coagulated pus from an infection) but cutting it open might offer some clues. Sounds like you did that but didn't take a pic? It looks like hard boiled egg white, not that it is.

Thin shells can have several causes.
But I'd guess that the 'foreign object' impeded upon the next full egg being shelled properly.
If this is a one time thing, I'd not worry but keep an eye on her and her eggs.

Thank you. I just checked the coop - she made a normal egg today.

I didn't cut the white thing open... I poked at it and chipped some shell away. It did look like a hard boiled egg white, but felt like the consistency of a shrimp.

I've found a few thin shelled eggs in the coop before. Maybe twice in the past two years. But there are 7 chickens and I don't know who did it.

Attachments

• IMG_8735.JPG
    IMG_8735.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 0
Should I still be concerned about salpingitis?
Nah, unless you see more, then you'll need to figure out who it is.

If this is a one time thing,
I'd not worry but keep an eye on her and her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom