What's up with my aussie & JG?

radiodog

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Summerfield NC
These 3 hens have not laid any eggs since I've had them..they are way pass old enough to be laying. I have 4 other hens that lay regularly so I think the 3 non-layers would take a hint! I've seen the rooster mount one of the aussies and the JG; they were receptive.

I'm kinda disappointed - I got the 2 aussies because they are suppose to be such great layers.

spamee34

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
East Texas
Are you sure they are AUSIE'S because I have black jersey giants and the ausie's look like the jersey's to me and they have the green sheen like the Ausie's ( minor differences of coars if ya know the difference) but the jersey's lay much later mine were almost 10 month's before they began to lay.

Last edited:

radiodog

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Summerfield NC
pretty sure...the aussies' feet bottoms are yellow and the JG's feet bottoms are pink. I got the aussies from a friend who said the older one had started to lay; the younger one was at least 6 mths old - I could tell them apart because of the difference in size & the older one was fully feather out & looked like an adult - I can't distinguish between the 2 now. The JG I got with a BSL & a PR...they were all about the same size...the BSL & PR have been regularly laying for about 1 month now. I've read that that the JG is slower to mature.

I've had all 3 for at least 4-5mths. For some reason the BSL, PR, EE and Andalusian all share the same nest, but there are other nests in the coup un-used so there is room for the aussies & JG. I'm just wondering if I'm not doing something right...the older aussie had been more free ranging in her former home and she continued to do so here although my other hens stayed in their chickyard - the aussie decided she didn't like being alone and she joined the flock. They are lovely hens..

radiodog

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Summerfield NC
Hmmmm...I got an extra brown egg this morning that I didn't expect. As crazy as it might sound, I can tell the diff between the BSL's egg and the PR's egg. I shouldn't have an xtra brown egg today.

Top Bottom