what's up with my chicken?

pen2paperamy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Culpeper, VA
Got six chicks just before Easter. One has grown quite faster than the other five. About 3 weeks ago the others began pecking at him/her. I separated them in their tub and reintroduced them after a few days. All was well for a week or so and then he/she became "hen pecked" again. They are all now outside in a much larger pen while coop and run are being finished. The larger one is still separated and I'm not sure being pecked is all that is wrong with my chicken. The back end, on either side, is pretty bare, but other than a couple other pecked spots it seems ok. What else could be wrong?

He may be bare from the others pulling out his feathers. He may have something wrong with him, and the others have picked up on this, and instinctively attacked him.

You could try getting some BluKote (gentian violet) or coal tar at the feed store and put on the bare areas to encourage them to leave the area alone. Hopefully, if he is OK, this will gradually resolve as the get accustomed to their larger home and sort out the pecking order.

Where did you get them at? The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe you have a broiler chicken instead of a laying breed. The freshly hatched Cornish Cross are the same yellow color as many of the other breeds. Likewise, the Red Rangers are the brownish-red of other breeds. If you got it at the store, that would be my first thought. At three weeks, I'm guessing it weights about 12-16 ounces?

With my Cornish Cross that I recently bought, their butts are constantly bare. Overall, the fuzziness is very thin. They are growing faster than their hair comes in and if you wash off any pasty butt, it immediately takes them to bare skin there.

Just a thought...

Thanks for the replies. Never disappointed with shouting out a concern here . . . there is always someone who jumps in to help and offer advice. Love this place. I will continue to keep watch. . ..will pursue the Blukote if necessary. . . .perhaps it IS just a broiler and not a layer . ..daggonit!

Back
Top Bottom