What's up with my guineas

Kmac1

ChickenAddict
May 22, 2016
Kingfisher, Oklahoma
I have 10 guineas 12-14 weeks old raised from 2 day old keets along with 16 various breed chickens all in the same coop and run. Everything was fine up till about a week ago. Now the guineas are aggressive to the chickens (run at them trying to peck team) and the guieneas have isolated 1 guienea that they chase and peck and try to keep it at a distance from the flock. I free range from daylight till dark every day, this aggressive behavior toward the chickens only happen in the run when I let them out in the morning, but the aggression to the other Guinea happens all day. Any thoughts about this behavior. I haven't had yard birds since I was a kid living at home and we never had guineas. Thanks Willie

I have 10 guineas 12-14 weeks old raised from 2 day old keets along with 16 various breed chickens all in the same coop and run. Everything was fine up till about a week ago. Now the guineas are aggressive to the chickens (run at them trying to peck team) and the guineas have isolated 1 guinea that they chase and peck and try to keep it at a distance from the flock. I free range from daylight till dark every day, this aggressive behavior toward the chickens only happen in the run when I let them out in the morning, but the aggression to the other Guinea happens all day. Any thoughts about this behavior. I haven't had yard birds since I was a kid living at home and we never had guineas. Thanks Willie
This is just normal guinea behavior.

Thanks. More odd behavior, at least to me. Two guineas male and female I think broke off from the herd and spent 20 minutes going in this small brush pile then back out, walk around looking intently then back in again. It wasn't their normal feeding behavior and they weren't calling out to the group who was out of sight by then. Do guineas pair up? It looked like they were looking for a place to nest, but they are only about 14 weeks old so just not sure. Any thoughts.

Thanks. More odd behavior, at least to me. Two guineas male and female I think broke off from the herd and spent 20 minutes going in this small brush pile then back out, walk around looking intently then back in again. It wasn't their normal feeding behavior and they weren't calling out to the group who was out of sight by then. Do guineas pair up? It looked like they were looking for a place to nest, but they are only about 14 weeks old so just not sure. Any thoughts.

Yes it is common for guineas to pair up. It is young for them to be looking for a nesting place but then, they are guineas.

Yes it is common for guineas to pair up. It is young for them to be looking for a nesting place but then, they are guineas.

Ours were around one year,and two months the first the hen laid her eggs on the coop floor.
although it tooked us time to figure out that she was lauing.

Back
Top Bottom