What's up with my silkies

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
So I got them Dec 22nd, and I handle them twice a day, but they are so shy and hide and run when they see me, dec 22nd ..3 were 6 week old and 1 was 8 week old..fight like mad dogs when I go to pick them up... Iam assuming this all normal behavior..you should they won't even go near live meal worms when I place them in their brooder.. And no way will I let them take it from my hand ...cause one pecked me already really hard when I was trying to pick it up.. So iam scared pf their beaks..Lol

Also if I add photos, do you think you could guess their sex... .....? Iasked for all hens if possible from an extremely reputable breeder.. I never hear any crowing.. But one jumps up and karate chops the others and one, tries to drag around the other with their beak...I do not know a thing about chickens or how they play, I do understand pecking order so maybe they are just doing their normal chicken behavior... So my understanding was silkies are so sweet... Does this happen when they are much older.?...

Last edited:
It all sounds like very normal behavior. In my experience with them, they usually calm down as they get bigger. So keep interacting with them. They will eventually get used to it. At the age yours are, it is almost impossible to tell what sex they are. It really isn't obvious until 4-6 months of age.. But go ahead and post some pics... we always like to try anyway.. Best to get photos of their head from the side and maybe a shot of their face so we can see the size of the comb.

Quote:
Thank u will do, and will make a new post for..guess my gender...

Funny because the 3 \\ 7 week old now look like 3 identical triplets.. All 3 came with that pointy crown.. The 8 week old arrive with rounded top notch.. And I am hoping the whole what shape the top hat is,, isn't any indication.. Because the reputable breeder if she thought that way.. lOL.. Sent me three Roos.... Ayayayayayaaaa...and iam going to cry...LOL, or some of you will be able to have free silkie Roos for sure...

Xoxox

silkies are really really hard to sex even for experienced breeders. try giving them some hard boiled egg as a treat mine love it. yogurt is good too.

Quote:
I've done that too.. LMAO.. they still turn their noses up at it.. MNNNNNNNNNN... but I will get them to love me.. no matter what.. hehehe

I know... each one will be its own little personality.. and yippy for that.. time will tell..

thank you

Hello,

I have 5 baby silkies that are 3 weeks old.
Shrek is the sweetest that loves to be petted/handled.
Rita is afraid of me. She never forgave me for bathing the goo that dried hard on her after she hatched.
Lola is semi afraid of me. Lola had issues with pasty butt so I had to clean her up alot. Poor thing has a naked butt now and associates being picked up with getting her hiney cleaned which she hates.
Cinnimon is shy when I bought him but he does let me pet him.
Blueberry is the smallest. I bought her along with Cinnimon and think she had just hatched. She is a little pistol and doesn't care to be touched too much.

I am patiently working with all of them by just petting them not trying to overly pick them up as they tend to get upset if picked up. The 2 scared ones tend to upset the 2 newest members I have noticed. So I slide my hand in petting the ever calm Shrek and slowly move while keeping my hand low to the chicks and pet on the others. The little ones are all starting to warm up to this more and I believe patience will pay off. I also baby talk at them.

All little chicks are afraid because we appear as big scary giants to them. Most do not like being picked up by being grabbed as this is not natural to them. I try to work with them to where they grow comfortable with hopping up on my hand and being petted by starting with my hand in a low position to the chick. This also worked great with my Wyandotte chicks who are now 11 weeks and some love to hop up on my shoulders.

Quote:
Thank u so much for your words...theybor should I say mine, are very very very..get away from me..my new babies, in the brooder the babies that hatched...dec 22nd their are 3 out of 6 that come right up to me when I place my hands in the brooder, the other 3 are just like my silkies get away momma and get away fast and far as u can, that's what their all yelling out..LOL

I have 7 week old silkies and cochins in the brooder, and my cochins are much more sociable and friendly than the silkies. The silkies all act scared. I can, however, scoop them up and cuddle with them if I have food in my hands. They will allow me to do anything as long as I am offering food!
roll.png

Since i have 30 all at once, I don't handle them all everyday, and I think that has helped a lot, actually. I have a feeling that yours will warm up to you more as time goes on. I'm excited about mine going outside next week so I can actually go entirely in thier space, sit down, and let them come to see me. That can't happen when they are in the brooder or when I ge them out and I'm worried about the carpet getting pooped on. Haha!

Good luck!

Its normal behavior for them to act terrified that your going to kill them at the young age that they are, as a prey species. They will change over time.
Giving boiled eggs is a good thing for them. Try mashing into small pieces and get a large plate and sprinkle some of their regular food into it. Put a few of the chick into the plate or put the plate towards the corner where most of them are running too (from experience LOL) and step away. They in time will get curious and try pecking at it and once they try it you will have a feeding frenzy on your hands.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom