What's up with organic?

I'm surprised that more people aren't going the organic route with a small backyard flock. The reason I got chickens was to avoid paying the $3.50 for organic, free range eggs at the store. I'll feed my chickens organic feed in the winter (assuming I can find some) and they'll be truly free ranged on 20 acres eating bugs & greens the rest of the year on land where no chemicals are used. The eggs may not be totally organic, but I'm they'll much closer to organic than the "conventionally grown" store bought variety. Plus my conscience will feel better by not buying eggs from chickens kept in awful conditions. I buy as much certified organic food as I can. I don't want to feed myself or my family all the chemicals used in "conventionally grown" foods. It's nearly impossible to eat organic all the time, (especially if you ever eat out) but I keep an organic garden (organic seeds too) and make the effort to buy certified organic when I can. But hey- that's just my thing.

Anyway...

"Certified Organic" is an actual mandated classification. It means that the soil has been tested and that there have been no chemicals used on the land 10 years. In it's simplest form in relation to chickens it means that there have been no chemicals used in any part of what meat animals or egg layers eat. No herbicides or pesticides used on the land where the chickens are. None used in the places where their food is grown. In fruits and vegetables & grown foods it means that there have been no herbicides or pesticides used on the land where they're grown.

"Organic" used to mean what "certified organic" means now. It's become more of a marketing term that may or may not mean that some part of the process might be chemical free.

"Free Range" is a more of a wishy washy term that means they are not kept in individual cages and that there is some access to the outdoors for the chickens. It's not great, and it doesn't mean "pastured -as in eating bugs & grass- but it's better than the cages.

"Natural" is about the worst marketing word. It can mean anything, and usually means nothing.

Quote:
well said.

I market my eggs and meat as Organic, I make mention that they are fed only certified organic feed and I use only organic methods meaning that I dont give antibiotics, use any pesticides or non organic fertilizers on my homestead, feed only certified organic table scraps, scratch etc...

I never say that I am certified though just that I use only organic methods and all purchased feed is certified.

For me this is important the food I buy is only certified (at leats 90% is) I am careful about reading lables so as not to get tricked bu something that is 40% organic
roll.png

Eating this way I know that the least amount of chemicals, growth hormones, pesticides and the like are going into my son at least as far as his food goes. This is one of the only enviromental factors I can control so I do in hopes that I help to cut down on the overload of "bad" stuff out there that is absorbed by our bodies every day.

In return I have been blessed with a very healthy DS with a great personality I do feel part of that is because of what he eats. I do feed him lots of sugar though since kids do need it, I just bake them myself so it is always real cane sugar not fuctose corn yucky or some other nasty substance.

Where do you buy or who makes your organic chicken feed? My chicklets are only 2 weeks old, but I live in the country (where oddly, organic isn't big) and have had no luck finding organic at my local feed store. If I knew a manufacturer they'd try to get it for me.

I totally agree about the food we eat being the only way to offset the rest of the crap we get that we can't control. I'm not maniacal about it, I just do what I can.

Last edited:
Blue seal makes a version of their feed in organic, I use Nature's Best, there are many brands the best thing to do is call all the feed stores and ask them if the will order it for you monthly. If you find one that supplies Blue Seal brand then it is no biggie to add a few bags when they order the regular. You would be surprised how many feed stores will acomidate this even though they dont keep it in stock.

Last edited:
I tell my egg customers that they aren't organic because I can't afford organic feed. Then I explain about free-range, and how my chickens eat all the stuff chickens are supposed to eat. Until I can grow the feed myself, (and don't hold your breath for that) I can't call my chickens or my eggs organic. I can and do call them free-range, I don't care what the strictly legal definition is, because it's a joke. This is my idea of free-range, and these are my birds, at my place:
PIC00011.jpg

PIC00012.jpg

mrroo.jpg

Most of my egg customers have either been to my house, or know somebody who has. They know how my birds live, and they can easily see and taste the difference in the eggs, with the beautiful, rich, orange yolks. They often tell me they can no longer stand to eat the pale yellow-yolked eggs from the supermarket.

I don't sell chickens as meat, but often share for dinner with friends, when I cook one of my home-raised ones.

Here we go with organics again.... For organic produce and grains anyway, have good meaning and a great purpose. The pesticides that are thrown on the foods we eat is absolute garbage. As long as you grow your own or get a share with a CSA most small farmers stay away from pesticides and herbacides.

BUT, for meats on the other hand you have a wide range of "guidlines" to be certified... and we do not wish to "classify" or "certify" our pasture based farm with the same people that abuse the terms and regulations for orgainic.... as we offer a different product.

Yes, true organic poultry must have access to outdoor space when weather permits and must be "free-range" or "cage less". Under these vague guidlines producers are able to manipulate the term to their own production practices. Take for example the farms below.... all four of them are certified organic farms... Which one would you buy eggs/meat from... reguardless of the lables that are on the egg cartons found at the supermarket. Just say, you have to choose by what you can see

1855_2nd_perchery.jpg

1855_perchery.jpg

1855_organic_pasture.jpg

1855_organics_pasture_2.jpg

Now if your pasture raised and certified organic.... than kudos to you. Personally until organic feed is affordable we will use conventional grain, as all this does for us is pass the cost to the consumer.

Last edited:
It is shameful that organic everything costs so much more. I got my few birds so I could eat healthier eggs, and I'll probably sell the extra eggs (cause what the heck else do ya do with them?!) and none of mine will ever be meat. I haven't thought about how I'll define my eggs to others, perhaps pastured? All I know is the less chemicals use, the less I'll have to eat.

When you see the $3.50 price tag for organic fed chicken eggs at the store, it's certainly due to the overwhelming cost of feeding those chickens vs conventional feed. What's worse, is chances are good that even those "free range" commercial chickens don't have it very good.

My wife and I, together with 3 other couples, whent out to a newly opened and tauted to be "Organic Restaurant" for dinner last Saturday night to celebrate a Masters Degree College graduation of a friend. My wife and one lady ordered chicken while I and the rest ordered beef . I got the "organic, grass fed" 7 oz. tenderloin steak, a dab of potatoes, and 3 peices of brocolli on a large plate. I cut (or more accurately sawed) a small piece of that steak and then chewed and chewed that T O U G H peace, then another piece. My friends also did the same with their T- bone or tender loin steaks. The chickens were stringy. Well, the manager got us all new plates of food. Just as TOUGH. We finally resorted to cutting up the meat into 1/4 x 1/4 inch pieces in order to swallow, however most of the meat was left on the plates. To add insult to injury, my 7 oz. steak had a price tag of $ 28.95. The total bill for the meal was $239.60 plus another $70+ for a round of drinks. To make up for the dinner the manager gave each of us a $ 10 off for our next meal. My friend , the graduate and the reason for this outing, suggested to the manager to get a "real " cut of meat if there was to be a next time.

Quote:
Can you provide details? I'd like to keep these for reference and would like to be able to document the claim that they are all taken at certified organic farms. I'm not doubting you, just wanting proof for those that I'd show the pictures to.

Back
Top Bottom