What's up with these "red leghorn" birds?

garfieldGeorgia

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2023
Anyone who's been involved with raising birds has probably become familiar with the brown leghorns or white leghorns at some point, but Murray McMurray hatchery also offers the "red leghorn" as a very rare breed. As far as I know, there are really no other hatcheries that sell it. Why, is it a bad breed that causes issues? Do they get diseases easily? Or why are they kept so rarely?

It's a rare color variety, that's hard to get a hold of. Pretty much the simplest explanation I can give.

Someone with better Leghorn knowledge would know better.

There used to be two hatcheries that sold them. I don't remember the other one now.
I knew a couple people that had gotten them from each. Neither were pleased with them and when I had some I wasn't either. All of us went through the same issue. They were weak and seemed to always have a sort of failure to thrive issue.
That was a while back. @JacinLarkwell has had some recently and think had same experience. @Miami Leghorn has also had them and I believe his did well.
Just my opinion but I think the line does have issues. If you like them give them a try though.

There used to be two hatcheries that sold them. I don't remember the other one now.
I knew a couple people that had gotten them from each. Neither were pleased with them and when I had some I wasn't either. All of us went through the same issue. They were weak and seemed to always have a sort of failure to thrive issue.
That was a while back. @JacinLarkwell has had some recently and think had same experience. @Miami Leghorn has also had them and I believe his did well.
Just my opinion but I think the line does have issues. If you like them give them a try though.
Aha.
Guess I’ll just try breeding my own then!

My last girl seemed to just need a slower start. Around the time I sold her, she was roughly the same size as my silver, but the silver also had health issues too, so that wouldn't be too surprising. The other two I ordered never made it past a few hours.

I'd be up for trying them again though if they are still around in a few years

Back
Top Bottom