1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whats up with this quail? ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nekhebet, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    So my husband told me to post this so I will, even though the chick is eating and drinking, and obviously growing.
    We noticed when we switched brooders the other night that one of the birds has a lump on their shoulder/chest region and carries his head in a slightly twisted way, kind of like a hunch back.
    What is this, and is it fixable? As mentioned, I've seen him scarfing food and he is one of the largest chicks (almost 2 weeks old?) in the brooder.

On that note, is it normal to have a bunch of big fat fatties and a few little ones? There's plenty of food, so I don't see why they wouldn't be more evenly matched in size. I may separate them out if the runts don't start making some progress. I don't see them getting singled out particularly...

BTW, the quail are coturnix, mixed all sorts of flavors.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don't know if its the same thing, but I had a turkey that looked like what you're talking about. He just got worse and worse till he couldn't walk right anymore, and the others started trampling him, so that was when I decided to cull him.

3. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Could it be wry neck?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Do you see some fluid in the shoulder?

I would separate him for a little while and observe him. He might overcome it. He might just be growing really fast or he tweaked his shoulder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by