What's with my rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by koakritters, Jun 7, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i have a 3 month old roo who i hatched, he's always been super friendly and loved being held and tlkaed to and being petted, grew up in my room with me, but the last couple days he's started attacking me! [​IMG] tonight i was in filling waters, and he came up behind me and was biting my pants/leg, and then he got my wrist when i tried to get him off. after fighting for a bit he went back to his normal self and was letting me hold him and was happy.

is he going through some "i'm a big tough rooster now and i can do what i want" phase? how can i get him to stop?? i really want to keep him, but since he is part of a petting farm setting, even though he is not actually being held, just being looked at through the bars, i can't have him biting at kids who might stick their fingers in... [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    He is at the age where they are "discovering"...lol
    He could be testing the water on "mateing" (they tend to be rough when they are learning). or he could be trying to see who is the "top dog" in the family.
    I have a roo that was doing that...You have to show him who is boss, make sure that he gets the point that you are the ALPHA !
    and sometimes you have to pen them down, let them know they will not win and give them a time out til they figure it out.

If it is the mateing issue, then you need to introduce him to a girl ...lol and teach him it is not ok to bite....
    then there are those ROO's that are just plain MEAN.....but by the sounds of it...it seems he is testing the waters so hang in there and don't back down [​IMG]

Best Wishes,

--laura--

3. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:X2

4. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    thanks! he's in with a bunch of girls already, so i guess it's time to teach him who's boss...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by