What's wrong? Hunched, lazy sways

Mgrace717

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
Hi I am new here. I usually just read post and articles. This is my first time submitting anything. I have a sick chicken. She was always the smallest, she's about 4 or 5 months old, but she is still super tiny compared to the rest I got along with her from someone on craigslist. The rest are super healthy and big. She is literally half to a quarter of the size of the rest. She was always wild and ran from the kids and I. Then the past 3 days, she just stands in the yard. Let's me and the kids pick her up and pet her. When we sit her down or first pet her she falls over. She always sits completely hunched and often with loose wings. I gave her a soak and massaged her abdomen in case egg was stuck (although she has not began to lay yet)but I don't feel anything in abdomen. She eats and drinks very good. She goes back in coop but does not roost. Just stands hunched in corner. She always stands and closes eyes. I brought her in one night for observation but she eats drinks and poops completely normal. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_165009850_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200928_165009850_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Welcome to BYC!I know this doesn't help but is she the same breed as the others? that would explain her being smaller. If she has been like this for 3 days then she is not eggbound, or she would be dead. Do you have an electrolyte/vitamin supplements available? If so get her to take some of that.

Pictures of her stance could also be very helpful.
I think I attached a pic with the article but I'm new Soni may have not done it right. I will try again. Yes she is the same breed. Came from the same hatching as the other 4 I got along with her. They are silver laced wyandotte.

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_165009850_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200928_165009850_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Can you try to get some Corid and treat her for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Then recuce the dosage to 1/4 of that for an additional 5 days. Make sure that she is drinking the medicated water normally. She may have a chronic form of coccidiosis which can make her a failure to thrive.

Yeah it looked completely normal last night. I kept her in a tote in my basement to check her out and poop was not al color. Wasn't runny and not dry. If you suspect coccidia I should definitely remove her from the others right. I actually had a gen randomly die last week in the coop with no signs of sickness. She was a barres rock

Can you try to get some Corid and treat her for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Then recuce the dosage to 1/4 of that for an additional 5 days. Make sure that she is drinking the medicated water normally. She may have a chronic form of coccidiosis which can make her a failure to thrive.

Ok I'll try to get that tomorrow morning. Should I isolate her from the rest?

No, I would treat them all together unless she is being kept from water or food, or being picked on. Make sure that their bedding is very dry and clean. Isolate her if you need to care for her. I hope that she survives.

Thanks so much. I will add to their waterer and treat them all. I hope she does too. Is there a low chance of survival? Also is there anything I can do to help with the cause? I try to keep their coop very very clean
I change all shavings every 2 to 3 weeks and they are usually only up at night and through the day for water. They free range on about half an acre or larger. Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom