What's wrong with Franklin?

ccook06

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Montana
http://imgur.com/a/EL9td This is Franklin. Franklin and his mate, Molly have been regular spring and summer visitors to my store for 3 years. So far this spring we have not seen Molly and Franklin showed up 3 days ago and has not left the store. He has an obvious injury to his bill but it seems older and at least partially healed. Franklin is very depressed. He eats very little and lays with his head tucked most of the day. I have contacted 2 veterinarians and animal control with no results. What can I do for him??

http://imgur.com/a/EL9td This is Franklin. Franklin and his mate, Molly have been regular spring and summer visitors to my store for 3 years. So far this spring we have not seen Molly and Franklin showed up 3 days ago and has not left the store. He has an obvious injury to his bill but it seems older and at least partially healed. Franklin is very depressed. He eats very little and lays with his head tucked most of the day. I have contacted 2 veterinarians and animal control with no results. What can I do for him??
Obviously something has happened to Franklin's mate, it may have happened very recently and your seeing a very depressed duck. first off I'd add some Apple Cider Vinegar you want the kind that has the mother in it Braggs is one but Heinz makes one too.add to his drinking water 2 tab to 1 gal of water this will work as a tonic and help to heal his bill. does it look like fungus or infection? I couldn't tell other than it has dif been injured some how. maybe a pred attack and he got away. You can also add some vitamins[poultry] to another bucket of water so he not only has the ACV to help heal his bill but also is getting some vitamins into him to help him recover on the inside as well. I take they are wild? Do you feed them? if so please don't do bread it has no nutritional value at all. Game bird feed or water fowl feed would be best. unless he is able to get his own food. But what would really make him feel better is to have his mate back. Unless Molly has a nest some where close by have you noticed him going off in a certain direction alot? He;'s is a beautiful drake and looks to be in good feather in the pics anyway do you notice anything off about his body? feathers, walk?

Obviously something has happened to Franklin's mate, it may have happened very recently and your seeing a very depressed duck. first off I'd add some Apple Cider Vinegar you want the kind that has the mother in it Braggs is one but Heinz makes one too.add to his drinking water 2 tab to 1 gal of water this will work as a tonic and help to heal his bill. does it look like fungus or infection? I couldn't tell other than it has dif been injured some how. maybe a pred attack and he got away. You can also add some vitamins[poultry] to another bucket of water so he not only has the ACV to help heal his bill but also is getting some vitamins into him to help him recover on the inside as well. I take they are wild? Do you feed them? if so please don't do bread it has no nutritional value at all. Game bird feed or water fowl feed would be best. unless he is able to get his own food. But what would really make him feel better is to have his mate back. Unless Molly has a nest some where close by have you noticed him going off in a certain direction alot? He;'s is a beautiful drake and looks to be in good feather in the pics anyway do you notice anything off about his body? feathers, walk?

He is a wild Mallard. In the previous years he and his mate would come and go a couple times a day during the spring and summer. I don't know where exactly their nest was through they always left my store heading east. There is now alot of new construction in the area and I'm guessing his nest has probably been destroyed. We have not seen his mate at all and he has not left the store at all for 3 days now. I am giving him food and water. I have duck feed from the livestock supply store- corn, wheat & milo - and I give him chopped veggies, greens, and mealworms as well.
He seems healthy other than the injury which is not bleeding or infected looking. He is still plump and gets around OK although I have not seen him fly since he first flew in 3 days ago. He spends most of the day sitting with his head tucked under his wing but he will come out and eat when ever I coax him to his food bowl. I'm sure he is lonely without his mate.
The biggest problem I have now is that my store is owned by a large corporation that requires us to keep up "store standards." And a duck pooping and spreading food around near the entrance doors is not to their standards. My boss has told me I need to remove the duck but I just don't know how I can do that without stressing him out further or doing him more harm. I have talked with local veterinarians and animal control but got no help from them.

Oh that is very sad.

I agree with Miss Lydia's ACV recommendation. That is what I would do here for that injury. I also agree he's likely sad.

Sorry but I have no idea on the logistics regarding the poop, other than relocating or a fence. It is nice of you to help him tho.

He is a wild Mallard. In the previous years he and his mate would come and go a couple times a day during the spring and summer. I don't know where exactly their nest was through they always left my store heading east. There is now alot of new construction in the area and I'm guessing his nest has probably been destroyed. We have not seen his mate at all and he has not left the store at all for 3 days now. I am giving him food and water. I have duck feed from the livestock supply store- corn, wheat & milo - and I give him chopped veggies, greens, and mealworms as well.
He seems healthy other than the injury which is not bleeding or infected looking. He is still plump and gets around OK although I have not seen him fly since he first flew in 3 days ago. He spends most of the day sitting with his head tucked under his wing but he will come out and eat when ever I coax him to his food bowl. I'm sure he is lonely without his mate.
The biggest problem I have now is that my store is owned by a large corporation that requires us to keep up "store standards." And a duck pooping and spreading food around near the entrance doors is not to their standards. My boss has told me I need to remove the duck but I just don't know how I can do that without stressing him out further or doing him more harm. I have talked with local veterinarians and animal control but got no help from them.
How about rescues in the area? I don't know what state your in but here in NC we have Carolina water fowl rescue you might contact them and they maybe able to give you names of organizations of rehabbers close to you. Majestic water fowl is another I believe. can you move his feeding and watering area away from where the public come and go? it does sound like either he is grieving or there is something else going on. Maybe try moving his food and water a little at a time till you get it where the "boss" is okay with it. So sweet of you to care so much and sometimes we feel so helpless. Maybe what ever happened to make him this way was very recent.[like losing his mate] No body of water around where there are other Mallards where he might find another mate?

How about rescues in the area? I don't know what state your in but here in NC we have Carolina water fowl rescue you might contact them and they maybe able to give you names of organizations of rehabbers close to you. Majestic water fowl is another I believe. can you move his feeding and watering area away from where the public come and go? it does sound like either he is grieving or there is something else going on. Maybe try moving his food and water a little at a time till you get it where the "boss" is okay with it. So sweet of you to care so much and sometimes we feel so helpless. Maybe what ever happened to make him this way was very recent.[like losing his mate] No body of water around where there are other Mallards where he might find another mate?
I hope you give us an update, would really like to hear Franklin has a happy a safe place to go.

Back
Top Bottom