Whats wrong with her face?

WVchick71

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Small Town
Was hoping someone can tell me what is wrong with her?

63898_rir.jpg

63898_rir_2.jpg

I'm no authority but it looks very hot and swollen.
Is it possibly a spider or wasp sting? I don't know where you live so climate-wise it may be an insect bite?
It seems to only affect one side of her face so I think it's something external as opposed to sinus infection.
Hopefully this BUMPS you up so someone else can help you.

I'm going to say a sinus infection...even though it's only on one side that does not convince me that it's not. I have a turkey that last winter had the same "looking" face and it too was only on one side. I gave her tylan 50 injections (well, hubby did while I held her) for 3 days. Worked pretty well.

Does she have any symptoms? Runny nose? Snot? Wheezy? Anything?

If she doesn't seem to have other symptoms, like a runny nose or raspy breathing, then I'm thinking it could be an eye injury. I think somebody mentioned a spider bite, and I agree it could be that. But she could have been pecked or injured and then she may be scratching it or rubbing it since it's irritated.

I agree that antibotics wouldn't be a bad idea, but there's an eye ointment in a small tube--they sell it at TSC, you could use some of that too on her eye. (I don't know the name, but they will have it with the other meds and such.

Hope she gets better soon!

Are those bubbles I see in the corner of her eye in the first picture? I have a chicken with the exact same problem and thought it was mycoplasma (sp?). All the symptoms matche but after 5 days of shots (using Tylan 50) she showed little improvement if any at all. I have been doing alot of reading but it can be a little confusing as many things have some of the same symptoms. I am hoping for something along the lines of a clogged tear duct (it is kinda hard to the touch) for myself as she has gotten back into the main flock and none of the others chickens show any signs of any eye problems. None of her habits have changed, she is healthy in all respects otherwise....my second best layer, eats and scratches all day....ya know very chickeny.

I started a post a few months back but received little in the way of any answers so looked around alot but still nothing solid that I can say for sure that this is what it is. Hope this little bump helps ya along.

Oh hey!!! Our black Minorca looked JUST like this on Monday. I keep posting this same story. Anyway, swollen on one side...ours had a runny nose though and it was a bit stinky. Checked symptoms here, became freaked out by what it could be, bleached the neighborhood, went to the vet. Vet said a secondary infection from dust or allergies, possible sinus. However, whatever was in the face and eye was draining through the nose and not smelling like roses. He gave her a shot, linocine or linocyn, something like that. I read and read here, and began washing both eyes with grocery store saline solution and then totally gooping both eyes with plain neosporin oinment (with no pain relief ingredients, that is dangerous to hens. The plain ointment has almost the same ingredients as opthamolic ointment, so it was posted here. I checked my cat's tube of stuff from last week, and it did have the same active ingredients.). She is isolated as the vet wanted to be sure we could identify her eggs since she had the shot. Today, she looks just about normal.

Also, I read garlic and cranberry soft gel caps are good for birds with possible infections, virus, things going on. Search on those two items, there is lots of interesting stuff.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My little bantam roo was at the vet this week for a sinus infection. His face swollen on one side. He did have a runny nose. and sneezing. I had started him on duramyacin before taking him to the vet cause I noticed him on Sunday and couldnt get him in til Tuesday. She told me to keep him on it for 2 weeks and isolate him which I had already done. He has already quit sneezing and no more runny nose face is going down and he crowed today so I know he is feeling better. If your doesnt have a runny nose then I dont think sinus.

Sorry off topic- What breed is she? I have one that looks just like her but she's green and yours is brown... and I don't know what breed mine is! Sorry...

Back
Top Bottom