What's wrong with my baby chick? :(

Candice W

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Tennessee
I have an Easter Egger that just hatched this morning about midnight. She pipped on day 23 and a few hours later she started to zip. She was doing so well and was about half to 3/4 done and then she stopped. There was no chirping and she stopped moving. I waited for about 5 hours and still no sound, no movement. She would occasionally kick like when they move and the egg opens a little at the zip point. After reading the extensive post on BYC regarding assisting with hatching, I decided that was the best thing. I only took a little shell off at one time, leaving the lining, which was drying out. Then I would wet the dry areas and put her back in the incubator to see if she would finish. I did that several times, and then on the last time I took another piece of shell off and she kicked and out she came. I was shocked by her size and couldn't believe she actually fit in that egg!!! So she did fine, was in the incubator drying off. She is now roughly 16 hours old. I went in to check on her to see if she was ready for the brooder and she was on her back. Now I know they do that sometimes after they hatch, but the reason she is doing it is because she keeps looking up, putting her head back and it ends up throwing her onto her back. She starts to stomp her feet trying to keep from falling back. Her feet seem awfully big, but not sure if that is a problem. I tried to her in the brooder with the others and she trys to stand up and walk but she ends up crawling on her feet and legs, if that makes sense. The the other chicks started picking on her. So she is back in the incubator. Also when she hatched everything was done as far as development and no bleeding or anything. I think she was just having a hard time getting out. This is just breaking my heart!!! I hope it's nothing serious. I am posting some pictures.

Do not put her back into the incubator. After a chick as fully fluffed up you need to IMMEDIATELY put her in the brooder. Make sure the brooder temp is 95. Plenty food and water.

When she was in the egg and developing the temp needed to be 100F-102F and the humidity 55%-60%. All chickens should hatch on the 21st day of incubation Bantams usually hatch the 18th day..

I will need to put another brooder together because I already put her in the brooder with the other chicks and they were picking at her because there seems to be something wrong with her. Having her in the incubator right now is just temporary I had to run to tractor supply. I'm home now and am going to be putting together another brooder. But I still don't know what's wrong with her.

Last edited:
This is definitely something I would post in the Emergencies and Diseases Forum. I'm sorry, I do not know what is wrong with your chick but someone there might. I have heard of a similar condition, but it was for turkeys. In that instance, it was a genetic disorder which the young turkey poult had as a result of unscrupulous breeding. The bird was experiencing seizures and would stick its head into the air, hold it there rigidly for a few minutes, and then finally relax. This could be similar.

Definitely keep her isolated -- don't put her with the other chicks. If she is suffering from something infectious, they could contract it too, and if not, they could harm her. Wherever you have her, make sure she has water. As a newly hatched chick, food is not as critical (she's still eating yolk) but still important. Have it available to her if possible. The incubator is not a bad place for her temporarily as long as she has water.

Forgot to say, I hope that she is okay and that you find out what is wrong with her.
hugs.gif

I wish I could tell you what is wrong with her, but I just don't know enough.
hu.gif
I would definitely keep her quarantined from the other chicks, for several reasons. I see no problem with keeping her in the incubator until you have another home set up for her. Many people suggest leaving them in the incubator for up to three days before moving them to the brooder to avoid opening the 'bator before the hatch is done. Just make sure there is a shallow dish of water for her. Also, if you don't have any more eggs waiting to hatch, you might turn the 'bator down to about 95 degrees while she is in there. I will keep my fingers crossed for her. Maybe she will get her strength and bounce back.
fl.gif

Well when we first put her back in the brooder with the other chicks she started acting stronger and was standing up on her legs beginning to walk. But she was still having her fits, whatever they are. I went in really early this morning to check on her and she was on her back and side and was struggling to get up. I don't know how long she was struggling to get up but she had all the bedding cleared in the area she was in. :( now she has been laying in the same place for about 6 hours. I have tried to give her water to keep her hydrated and she doesn't really take any water in. This may sound horrible but if there is something that is really wrong with her I don't want to prolong her suffering. I have prayed for God's mercy and that if she is sick that He would take her so she doesn't suffer. I will keep you updated. Thank you so much for asking about her!! It means a lot!!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear she hasn't gotten better.
hugs.gif
I had a chick in a hatchery shipment a couple years ago, that was doing something similar. But it died not long after I got it, and I never did figure out what the problem was.

Not wanting her to suffer is not horrible in the least. To me it proves you care about your babies and take your role as caregiver seriously. I'm sending you and her lots of happy, healthy thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom