Whats wrong with my chicken!?

BattleSloth

Chirping
Jun 13, 2016
My four month old is acting strange.
He is standing around with his wings hanging and feathers puffed up.
He doesnt seem too hot and all the others seem fine.
Thoughts?

Are his eyes sagging?? Cause the other day mine looked just like that and woke up fine the next morning turns out she was just over tired. Watch her closely and see if she has the same energy and eating the same and staying hydrated

A couple of questions:
What does his poo look like - any signs of blood or intestinal lining?
How long have you had him and how long has he been like this?

My first thought would be coccidiosis - it is more common in chicks and young chickens than in older birds. In the USA you can get Corid which is an effective treatment for cocci, and from what I understand it is not too hard on a bird's system. I would therefore be inclined to treat the whole flock, as cocci can often infect birds without too many external signs and symptoms until it is too late - chances are if one bird has it then the rest will too. (I know from personal experience - I failed to spot the symptoms in time and lost one of my young chicks before I realised what it was.)

Eating and drinking fine.
I brought him in the house to be sure he wasnt too hot. He walked around a little bit, eyes look good.
When i go outside he walks up to me but he stays puffed up that way..

Im brand new to chickens. Ive had them for a month.
I saw him like this yesterday but it was in the evening so i thought he was just tired.
He actually pooped on me today. It was like water. Clear with just a liquid consistency.
He sat on me a while and rested and then was back with the group like this. The other chicks dont seem to know theres a problem.

Make sure you keep a close eye one them. once the other chickens find out it doesn't feel good they will peck it

A couple of questions:
What does his poo look like - any signs of blood or intestinal lining?
How long have you had him and how long has he been like this?

My first thought would be coccidiosis - it is more common in chicks and young chickens than in older birds. In the USA you can get Corid which is an effective treatment for cocci, and from what I understand it is not too hard on a bird's system. I would therefore be inclined to treat the whole flock, as cocci can often infect birds without too many external signs and symptoms until it is too late - chances are if one bird has it then the rest will too. (I know from personal experience - I failed to spot the symptoms in time and lost one of my young chicks before I realised what it was.)
X2

I agree with KayTee, first thought is Cocci.
If you are in the US you can get Corid at the feed store. Not all strains of Cocci present with bloody stool. Weakness, lethargy, diarrhea with mucous or blood and a hunched up appearance can be an indication of Cocci. Since he is new to your property Cocci would likely be the cause. Corid is very mild and won't harm them, so treating the whole flock would be your best option.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Let us know how he's doing.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
I tried a store yesterday with no luck and it was late so I had no options.
This is TOP on my list for today.

I'll let you know how he does.

Back
Top Bottom