What's wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valerie, Mar 22, 2008.

1. valerie

valerie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    She's getting around OK--but has a droopy bottom?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Valerie

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    How long has she been like that? Sometimes the hens will run around like that if they need to drop an egg, but can't find a place they want to lay it.
    Is she making all sorts of commotion and running around like she is looking for a place to hide?

-Kim

3. valerie

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    She's been like that for 3 or 4 days. She can get up on the roost at night and I've seen her in the nests during the day. Is there something I can do for her? How do chickens act when they have a broken egg in them?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be eggbound. So a Search for "penguin stance" and you'll find quite a bit of stuff about it on here.

5. valerie

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I have the girl a warm bottom bath this morning. Her bottom is soft..would it be soft if there's an egg stuck in there? I put her in a dog crate in a darker, warmer place and put ointment on her. She is eating, haven't seen her drink (but I don't think that's a problem). Is there anything else I can do for her? Thank you all for all your help.
    Valerie

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Eggbound.

If she doesn't pass it soon, you might have to go in and get it.

The warm bath usually helps by relaxing the muscles.

7. valerie

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    We've got poop...but NOTHING else???? She doesn't have a poopy bottom either.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by