What's wrong with my duck?

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Yesterday Kevin was acting off, isolating her self and quite, I noticed a small head tick once or twice which usually precedes a seizure. This checks out since they are heat induced and yesterday was very warm. I brought her inside to cool off and she pepped up. At treats, swam around, pooped normally etc. I put her back out but my drake would NOT leave her alone so she got to come back in for another brief bath before I set her up in my shower for the night. She was alert, quacky and active this morning and when I put her outside she ran to her friends and began foraging. Then Toke -my drake - tried to mate her on the grass. I shooed him off but he kept coming back (not like him, usually he moves on after I yell at him) so I figured if it was gonna happen let's be safe and put Kevin in the pool. That was enough to get Toke literally and figuratively off her back after he mated with her but now she's all quiet again, droopy wings (especially her right wing), she's drinking a little bit not much and not eating much. Just standing in one spot really. She also is either unable or unwilling to extend/flap her wings.

I'm not sure if she's hurt her wings, she's having a hard recovery from a seizure, there's some other disease going on. I lost a duck two years ago around this time to an unknown disease so I'm terrified of a repeat. I'm not able to get her to the vet for another 5 days.

You can see here the one droopy wing. Her other is mostly where it should be....

Attachments

• 16857983319711319821882985872807.jpg
    16857983319711319821882985872807.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 41
Are you giving Kevin any supplements like electrolytes and vits to give her a boost? I'd keep her away from the drake for now. Maybe make her a small area outside so she can still be with everyone but the drake can't get to her.
Yes I've given her electrolytes. I didn't give her any vitamins but I do have some nutridrench that I can pop in her water good idea.
I just brought her inside and put her in our duck recovery pen in the basement. She's drinking and ate a small bit of her food and devoured the treats I gave.

Just did a small wing flap as I'm typing so I think just the rest will be good?

Update: Kevin is still in the basement but I brought Sweet pea in to give her company. I think that helped Kevin's mood as I saw her eating and more settled down and sleeping once Sweet pea was there. Sweet pea of course is NOT happy about the situation and yells at me every time I check in them.

Kevin's wing is much less droopy. Still is a bit but hopefully feeling better. She is still a bit quiet. It's hard with her because she is my least vocal duck, overall she's very quiet.
I will keep her inside for at least the weekend and maybe until I get her to the vet.
Should I be wrapping her wing up? I don't want to give her a bath as that leads to wing flaps which might irritate it if it is an injury which we are becoming more and more confident that it is.

Could be a sprain I think I'd not wrap and just let her pace herself. I don't think she'll do anything to her herself as long as she doesn't have to put up with the drake right now and has time to rest and recoup. I was just watching my Runner drake who weights hardly anything on top of my female not mating with her but just standing on her biting her face. Poor girls no wonder they come up with sprains and other problems. You gotta be tough to be a female in a flock with a drake.
A bath might make her feel good. Just let her dry off and flap her wings where she can't hit them on anything. But that of course is up to you.
I'm glad Kevin has some company they really do so much better when they aren't alone.

Could be a sprain I think I'd not wrap and just let her pace herself. I don't think she'll do anything to her herself as long as she doesn't have to put up with the drake right now and has time to rest and recoup. I was just watching my Runner drake who weights hardly anything on top of my female not mating with her but just standing on her biting her face. Poor girls no wonder they come up with sprains and other problems. You gotta be tough to be a female in a flock with a drake.
A bath might make her feel good. Just let her dry off and flap her wings where she can't hit them on anything. But that of course is up to you.
I'm glad Kevin has some company they really do so much better when they aren't alone

Thanks Miss Lydia! You always give solid advice and I appreciate you!

Update for Kevin. Took her to the vet. He agreed that it was a hurt wing and probably just a muscle strain or pull, likely from her seizure. When he was checking her out he could tell she was still a hurting a little and said she should be kept away from my drake for about a week to make sure he doesn't hurt her more. So she will be in ducky sick bay for most of the day but I'll probably bring her out to run with the girls while Toke stays in the pen.
I also got some Meloxicam for pain if she needs it.

That's great you got her to the vet and it is something that will heal with time.
Those drakes can be awfully hard on their girls. I know I have 2 of them stinkers. lol

Back
Top Bottom