What's wrong with my hen, please?

TeresalaGrande

Chirping
Apr 11, 2022
One of my hens has been clucking constantly and sitting in the nesting box all day, so we decided she was broody and locked them all out after they'd laid their eggs. We haven't got an alternative place to put her. Now she is looking much bigger than usual. Could there be something else wrong with her? This has been going on for three or four days.

Here are some signs of a broody hen:
https://www.timbercreekfarmer.com/10-signs-you-have-a-broody-hen/

If you do not want her to hatch eggs, take her out of the nest box and place her in a wire dog crate on the ground. No bedding, so her belly will cool off. I use an outdoor pen with a tarped roof, and place a roost in it. It takes 3-5 days to break a broody. If you let her go without breaking her, she might starve herself and become weak.

Could you post some pictures of her. I hope I can help.
Thank you for your message. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. Since I last posted I have asked a friend who is a farmer in Spain. She's just all fluffed up, I think. Nothing else seems to be wrong with her, except that she's very annoyed she's been put into solitary confinement! Thank you very much for your offer of help. I did want to upload photos, but so far I have been unable to (problems at my end).

It's normal for a broody to be all fluffed up. Isolate her away from the flock and provide her food and water. It'll take time to break her broodiness depending how stubborn she is.

Back
Top Bottom