whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

Gave our hen some vitamin E yesterday that I mixed in some cottage cheese. She gobbled it down. Hope it helps. If this is Mareks, does anyone know how long it takes for the disease to run its course? Our hen came from a hatchery and was vaccinated for Mareks but I think I read that they can still come down with it.

some chickens eat so much that there body cant keep up the weight gain and its legs will become weak

I have a pullet with Marek's who suddenly wobbled at 4 months & couldn't walk in a few days. She's still alive & has gained weight, after 4 months more, but the nerve damage to her was permanent, I think.

There are other symptoms which usually go with Marek's. One is "depression" or seemingly listless & drowsy. Another would be disinterest in things in general, including food. Marek's often attacks the eye(s/) in chickens, making at least one eye blind & looking like there is glaucoma. My hen didn't have this. Vitamin E, A, B-Complex, or something like "Poultry Drench" would be great for her regardless. Flax seed/oil as well, for EFA's .

It's great that she has a good appetite. This is what makes it sound less like Marek's.

To relieve symptoms of pain & numbness in her legs & feet, you can use homeopathic Hypericum 6C. It took my pullet from not walking at all to almost running (wobbily) in 5 days. It should slow down the progression of nerve damage.
It's available at Whole Foods or another health food store, or via internet.

As to how long it takes for it to run its course, I've read other people on BYC who said 4months or 6 months. I've also read it could take a couple years total before it recedes.

Keeping her well-nourished and out of stressful conditions (like heat) is one of the best ways to help her immune system fight it off. As long as her appetite is good, and she's eating on her own,she should fight the virus.

Keep checking her eyes to make sure she can see well to eat, and check out all the other information on the Net and here regarding Marek's. Good luck!

An update on our hen-I have given her Vitamin E two days in a row and even though her walking is about the same, it seems like her color has improved. Her comb had lost it's bright red and was very pale. Now it seems to be getting redder again. I take this as a sign that she may be getting better! (I hope, I hope!!!) We still have her separated during the day in a small pen. That way we can make sure she is getting the food she needs. Otherrwise, my greedy other girls would gobble up her food. Might go pick up some Hypericum and wheat germ today. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Having chickens is really a day to day learning experience and I have learned so much from you all on BYC!

Chickenlvr97, I had been taking vitamin E myself so I had some at home. You can find it in any grocery store, drug store, walmart, etc. Look in the vitamin, supplement section. I just snipped the end off the pill with a scissor and squeezed some of the gel into the cottage cheese. Today I mixed some wheat germ in with her cottage cheese. It is high in vitamin E. I got it at the grocery store (Publix). It's in the cereal isle in a jar. Any change in your girl? I sure hope so!! I'll keep you posted on ours.

ok. I have some wheat germ so I will give some of that to her tomorrow. I have been giving her yogurt every morning for the past 4 or so days, and the Electrolytes.Today I bought more PolyVisol Vitamins, so I gave a few drops of that to her. So far, she appears the same to me. She has not done any walking around though, so I can't tell if her walking is improving. She usually sits in the same spot all day.

Back
Top Bottom