1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whats wrong with my hen ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hunt, Mar 3, 2013.

1. hunt

hunt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    springfield,tennessee
    my hen is sneezing constantly and wheezing and I dont know whats wrong with her please help

2. pmon651

pmon651 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    i had hens doing the same not so long ago and i put a bit of white wine vinegar in their water and it seemed to do the trick [​IMG] they're all full recovered now.

hope this help
    pmone651

3. hunt

Feb 23, 2013
    springfield,tennessee
    Ok thanks alot[​IMG]

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Okay, I have never had to deal with this myself but I know the symptoms. Smell around her beak and see if there is a foul odor, also feel under her wings and see if it feels moist or sweaty.

5. hunt

Feb 23, 2013
    springfield,tennessee
    thats not it

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

She has come down with some kind of poultry respiratory disease. They are common and there are several, many of them mimick each other, so without lab tests it can be very hard to tell exactly what she has. Google "poultry respiratory diseases" to get an idea of what's out there. She needs to be kept warm, especially at night, and antibiotic's are highly recommended. If you have other chickens they are most likely all going to come down with it. The diseases are viral but it's very, very common for it to morph right into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections, hence the antibiotics. WIth warmth and meds they very often recover. They will however remain a carrier with the potential to infect other birds or new birds brought into the flock.

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I hope this helps.
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disviral.htm#ib

Infectious bronchitis is an extremely contagious respiratory disease of chickens characterized by coughing, sneezing and rales (rattling). It is caused by a virus that affects chickens only. Other fowl or laboratory animals cannot be infected with this virus. Several distinct strains of the virus exist.

Infectious bronchitis is considered the most contagious of poultry diseases. When it occurs, all susceptible birds on the premises become infected, regardless of sanitary or quarantine precautions. The disease can spread through the air and can "jump" considerable distances during an active outbreak. It can also be spread by mechanical means such as on clothing, poultry crates and equipment. The disease is not egg transmitted and the virus will survive for probably no more than one week in the house when poultry are not present. It is easily destroyed by heat and ordinary disinfectants.

The infection is confined to the respiratory system. Symptoms are difficult breathing, gasping, sneezing and rales. Some birds may have a slight watery nasal discharge. The disease never causes nervous symptoms. It prevails for ten to fourteen days in a flock and symptoms lasting longer than this are from some other cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by