What's wrong with my hens leg?

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
I have a bantam mix hen and her legs are messed up quite a bit,she can't walk or fly up on anything well at all. She did have almost an inch of crusty like stuff on the back of her legs and some do have mites which I'm treating them for now. But only her leg is swollen and on her left leg her last toe is curved up and it's very difficult for her to walk,and the roosters breed her and she just lays there on the ground weak like. It kinda looks like bumble foot on her leg cause of the sores. Any help at all would be appreciated!!!

Here's a picture of her last year laying an egg.

She could possibly be suffering from mycoplasma synoviae, viral or bacterial arthritis, or maybe even a broken foot. You need to get her away from the roosters, and get her on some antibiotics. I would have her seen by a vet if possible to get the best antibiotics. If not possible, then I would treat her Tylan 50 injectable 1/4 ml twice a day for 5 days given by mouth, or 1/4 ml daily for 3 days given as a shot. If I could get Baytril from your vet, that's what I would use.

She could possibly be suffering from mycoplasma synoviae, viral or bacterial arthritis, or maybe even a broken foot. You need to get her away from the roosters, and get her on some antibiotics. I would have her seen by a vet if possible to get the best antibiotics. If not possible, then I would treat her Tylan 50 injectable 1/4 ml twice a day for 5 days given by mouth, or 1/4 ml daily for 3 days given as a shot. If I could get Baytril from your vet, that's what I would use.
Yes they aren't good,putting all there weight on her. And we have a bottle of antibiotics from TSC we got last year in the fridge that's for all livestock we used on my rooster when he had a swollen toe. Do you think it would be good?

Back
Top Bottom