What's wrong with my hens wing?

nursejenn

In the Brooder
May 10, 2016
She is almost 3 months old, buff orpington, she was dripping blood from her front feathers of her left wing. I brought her in washed her wing as much as she would let me. I sprayed it with bacon and fed her some snacks high in iron. She bled quite a bit when I brought her in and I could not find the source. We kept her inside for the night and it's been 2 days. Today I put her in the tub and sprayed her down and washed her wing with baby wash. It was hard and swollen about twice the size of the other one. Just the joint and it was warm. I put her back outside with the rest of the chickens. I fed them strawberries and she was not interested while the others were loving them. That was unlike her. Here are the pictures any help is greatly appreciated.

If it's warm it sounds like infection and you can start her on antibiotics do you have more pics? The one you uploaded is kinda hard to see. Do you have any idea what could have caused it like any other birds that would bully her or predators? Is she acting normal? Try to give her something she likes so she'll eat, try scrambled or hard boiled eggs because they'll give her some energy and make sure she's drinking as well.

Last edited:
So today it did in fact look infected when I checked on her. It had yellowish crust. I washed it with warm water for a long time to soften it up. I then washed it with soap and then iodine. She was so good and let me without a problem. Then I mixed iodine, colloidal silver gel,and topical powder antibiotics I had on hand and then applied very liberally and wrapped so she doesn't pick it. I put her in the sick chicken box in my closet and gave her eggs with vitamins and probiotics sprinkled on it and water . Turned off the lights and let her sleep . I hope she heals. She's one of my favorites and so very sweet. I will go and get some injectable antibiotics tomorrow from the feed store. Thank you for the advice. Could this be merricks? These are my first chickens and I'm a new chicken mommy. Not sure I'm doing it right or what I'm doing.

I'm not experienced with Mareks but I believe it is paralysis and tumors on organs? I hope someone with more experience can tell you what it is but I think she probably just hurt herself somehow

Thank you I figured out it was an impacted feather. When I pulled it she didn't act like it hurt but got weak and layed instantly down for a couple of seconds. I saw white crust in the hole but couldn't get it out without curing it open. So I put colloidal silver, neosporin, and topical antibiotic powder together and smeared it on after a warm shower and bandaged again for the night. I bought pinicillin g w procain to inject IM tomorrow. will this be enough or do I have to like cut her wing off? Help

I don't think you'd have to cut her wing off it doesn't seem like it's going to get that serious... Again hopefully someone with more experience can answer your question because I haven't had to deal with something like this.

Back
Top Bottom