Whats wrong with my Roo?

Babybird60

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
He's been this way 4 days now... in the evening as it gets dark he will stand up straight and walk forward for a little bit. Then back to head hanging, walking in circles or backwards..
We changed his food to the 20% protein, been mixing with scrambled egg, little bit of applesauce.giving vit E, multi vit, and electrolites in water. He will not eat by himself, but will eat and drink if we hold it up to him. Then when he's done, down goes the head. At dusk, he stands and walks forward like he's learning to walk again.
He's outside in ER pen during day, and inside ER pen at nite. Separated from rest of flock. He has a little runny nose, but not bad. See attached video. Its a little long... but shows exactly what he does.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well it wont attach

Attachments

• 20190901_194813.jpg
    20190901_194813.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 16
I don't want to alarm you, because I have no idea and am not an expert, but I read there is a disease called Mareks that can cause paralysis. I have never had a bird with it, but it did say it can cause problems with walking and the neck. According to what I read, Mareks can be transmitted through dander and carried on your skin and clothes to other birds. I would isolate it just in case and shower and wear clean clothes after caring for it. When I have a sick animal and I think it may be contagious, I always take care of it last...after taking care of all of my other animals. There are a lot of informative websites on it and I read that they do have a vaccine for it. Hopefully, someone knowledgeable will chime in with some ideas of what could be wrong.

Last edited:
It looks like wry neck which is a neurological symptom. The neck can be held down, twisted to the side, or upward. You are using vitamin E and there is thiamine (B1) in the multivits which is the usual treatment for wry neck. A little cooked egg would be good as well for selenium.

Wry neck can be a symptom of several diseases, including Mareks disease, and some other viruses, but it also can be caused by vitamin deficiency, and head injuries.

Do you think he could have been injured by another roosters?

It looks like wry neck. If it is from a vitamin E deficiency you should be able to fix it pretty quick. You will have to hand feed and water him to get some vitamin E in his system. This worked for me: Give him some a little scrambled egg :add a couple of teaspoons of water to the egg and beat then gently cook take about half the egg and mix in half a capsule of:
Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw E 250 IU
658010113779-.png

Hold his neck up to help him eat (He's probably very hungry and can't eat because he can't hold up his neck) Try to get him to eat as much of the vitamin mix as he can. He may need help drinking fluids as well and may be dehydrated from not drinking enough. Use a small tea cup and gently help his beak into the cup so he can drink. I made a supplement drink https://www.durvet.com/product/layer-boost-with-omega-3/ -single packet with one gallon of water and helped our chicken drink out of the cup. It has 35 IU per teaspoon vitamin E. She drank about 1/4 cup along with most of the supplemented egg. It worked like magic. Next morning she was back to normal 100%. You will need to separate him from being bullied but you should be able to put him in the coop at night. If it is E deficiency he may be cured from the first supplementation. Do not wait because he could suffer from dehydration or heat stress. There is also one that has electrolytes and 9 IU Vitamin E per teaspoon: https://www.durvet.com/product/vitamins-electrolytes-100-gm/.

It looks like wry neck which is a neurological symptom. The neck can be held down, twisted to the side, or upward. You are using vitamin E and there is thiamine (B1) in the multivits which is the usual treatment for wry neck. A little cooked egg would be good as well for selenium.

Wry neck can be a symptom of several diseases, including Mareks disease, and some other viruses, but it also can be caused by vitamin deficiency, and head injuries.

Do you think he could have been injured by another roosters?
Thank you, but he's the only Roo. He's 6 months. During the day its awful.. we hand feed, then right around dusk, he perks up, preens, the holds his head up and walks around, he's eating and drinking... i don't think he's getting better.. but hubby says we need to wait.. I fear he's suffering... just not sure what to do.
Also wondering if we should feed during the night or just let him rest.

It looks like wry neck. If it is from a vitamin E deficiency you should be able to fix it pretty quick. You will have to hand feed and water him to get some vitamin E in his system. This worked for me: Give him some a little scrambled egg :add a couple of teaspoons of water to the egg and beat then gently cook take about half the egg and mix in half a capsule of:
658010113779-.png

Hold his neck up to help him eat (He's probably very hungry and can't eat because he can't hold up his neck) Try to get him to eat as much of the vitamin mix as he can. He may need help drinking fluids as well and may be dehydrated from not drinking enough. Use a small tea cup and gently help his beak into the cup so he can drink. I made a supplement drink https://www.durvet.com/product/layer-boost-with-omega-3/ -single packet with one gallon of water and helped our chicken drink out of the cup. It has 35 IU per teaspoon vitamin E. She drank about 1/4 cup along with most of the supplemented egg. It worked like magic. Next morning she was back to normal 100%. You will need to separate him from being bullied but you should be able to put him in the coop at night. If it is E deficiency he may be cured from the first supplementation. Do not wait because he could suffer from dehydration or heat stress. There is also one that has electrolytes and 9 IU Vitamin E per teaspoon: https://www.durvet.com/product/vitamins-electrolytes-100-gm/.

Thank you, we have done exactly all those things with really no change to be honest. Except he will perk up just before bedtime around 7:30-8:00 pm.
I took a video of him. But its took lg to load. He kind of walks sporadically, like he's looking for a roost.. idk, it just makes me sad.

658010113779-.png

We are doing all of these things... holding his head to eat and drink... he gets sleepy and rests, then will eat, then drink as we offer. We separated him immediately. He's outside during day in a sick coop, then inside at night. This has been happening since thursday evening. I feel so bad for him. Thanks for all the info

Thank you, we have done exactly all those things with really no change to be honest. Except he will perk up just before bedtime around 7:30-8:00 pm.
I took a video of him. But its took lg to load. He kind of walks sporadically, like he's looking for a roost.. idk, it just makes me sad.
Sorry to hear he is not doing better. Hugs

Back
Top Bottom