What's wrong with my rooster?

I really hope it isn't that. I can't imagine losing my hens after almost 3 years.

The rooster used to belong to someone else but I guess he somehow lost his way. Again he was left in the snow for who knows how long. At this point I'm not sure if I want to keep him, or find him a new home where someone can give him the proper care. The perch idea didn't work, he just couldn't balance on it at all, I had to assist him just to be able to stay on it. His legs seem very weak, sometimes he just collapses. I moved him back to the other box so he can lay down. I'll also try to feed him for the time being.

I really hope it isn't that. I can't imagine losing my hens after almost 3 years.

The rooster used to belong to someone else but I guess he somehow lost his way. Again he was left in the snow for who knows how long. At this point I'm not sure if I want to keep him, or find him a new home where someone can give him the proper care. The perch idea didn't work, he just couldn't balance on it at all, I had to assist him just to be able to stay on it. His legs seem very weak, sometimes he just collapses. I moved him back to the other box so he can lay down. I'll also try to feed him for the time being.
well, trial and error, I guess. Sorry my idea didn't work.

Alright, so I've tried giving him a variety of different foods, most times he just looks away and closes his eyes. On a couple occasions he gave them a peck then just dropped them. I got him to drink some more water but all he wants to do is lay down and rest. I'll give him some time and I'll check on him later today.

I wouldve never allowed that sick rooster anywhere near my property. If he has some type of disease, you seriously risk infecting your healthy chickens with whatever he has....you need to remember and practice biosecurity.
That said, I recommend that you take a fecal sample to a vet and have them check for cocci and worm oocysts. If the microscopic slide is loaded with cocci, he'll need to be treated with corid 9.6% liquid solution. If there are only a few cocci on the microscopic slide...that is normal.
If worm oocysts are seen on the slide, he'll need to be wormed.

Last edited:
I wouldve never allowed that sick rooster anywhere near my property. If he has some type of disease, you seriously risk infecting your healthy chickens with whatever he has....you need to remember and practice biosecurity.
That said, I recommend that you take a fecal sample to a vet and have them check for cocci and worm oocysts. If the microscopic slide is loaded with cocci, he'll need to be treated with corid 9.6% liquid solution. If there are only a few cocci on the microscopic slide...that is normal.
If worm oocysts are seen on the slide, he'll need to be wormed.

agree

I believe I've found him a new home. Am going to drop him off later today, I explained everything to the new owner.

Back
Top Bottom