whats wrong with these chicks?

Warrens Nest

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
i have about 20 chicks right now and 2 seem to be rather inactive as the others run to get to the food and water they sit to the back and watch or chirp and close their eyes i have the warmth on and everyone seems happy except those two.

today they apparently ate like they were suppose to, their little crops are full but no drinking and one is basically rocking from his toes to his joint sometimes falling backwards.

i gave them some water with a dripper and they seem a bit more active 1 more than the other i tried introducing them to the water bottle and the waterbowl and they wont drink from them they just lean back and start chirping..

i have never had a problem with chicks drinking

ideas??

You could give them Electrolytes and you can put marbles in the water dish and hopefully they will be attracted to the coloring of the marble. (I've done this with chicks before and if help them to start drinking faster) I hope this help! Good luck! :)

Keep a close eye on them. I'd continue to feed them water with a dropper if they are drinking when you feed them. I've heard of chickens not wanting any water for a day or two after they hatch, but I would think 4 days they should want water.

1 has died has anyone had birds acting like this??

they were rocking on their legs not really active just standing there chirping with their eyes closed...

yes they have a cool and warm area . there are 20 these were the only 2 having issues =/

Some chicks are just weaker than others from stress or genetic issues. Try giving the weak one electrolytes or sugar water and that may help to perk them up.

I have a three day old chick that is really skinny, and will just close it's eyes and rock back a little, but it runs around with the other chicks, and seems happy enough. Does this sound like what your chicks look like?

Back
Top Bottom