1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with this chicks leg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmgamble, May 13, 2008.

1. cmgamble

cmgamble Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Please click the link to view the video. What should I do?

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    That is what my chicks leg looked like too. The first two days or so he had trouble getting around. Now he gets it under him and can walk good. How old is your chick?
    Sorry I have no idea what is going on though. Hopefully someone can tell you.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

It looks semi-spraddled. Don't put him on slippery tiles anymore...and make sure your brooder has a good substrate (pine shavings or rough paper towels) so it can get it's footing.

I had one born completely spraddled & I used the "band-aid" trick and it worked. The chick is now lively, active & running around just fine...

4. Rare Feathers Farm

5. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    hey talking about chicks with problems I have a silkie that is 3 dys old.When it walks or trys to walk 1 leg goes up in the air how can I fix this .

Mindy

Ps sorry for hijacking your thread...

6. Rare Feathers Farm

I've never heard of that....I'd try posting a message abotu that in the "emergency" thread & see if you get any responses, Mindy. Good luck!

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The video looks like a dislocated knee or slipped tendon to me (not spraddle), although sometimes spraddle treatment will hold it in place enough to provide stability. I do think they need to be popped back in tho for proper treatment. I have no idea how to do that, as I've never done it. I don't think it would be very easy to do on a small fragile leg like that tho.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by