Whats wrong?

jeska180

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
My 3 year old dropped one of my day old chicks into its cage on Wed (the day we picked them up). That evening he stopped walking around like the others and now he barley moves. I checked both his legs, they work, his wings come out and flap around, but when hes on the floor he cant stand up. He is chirping a lot more then his buddies and the just walk on him like hes not there. What should I do? Is he suffering? Should I have him euthanized to stop his suffering?

I don't know enough yet to give you advice other than maybe you should separate him somehow if he is getting stepped on. It might make things worse- poor little thing. I hope someone steps in and can help you!

Hi jeska180,

he may have developed spraddle (splay) legs from the fall (or from vitamin deficiency and/or slippery floor). If you take a band-aid between his legs you may be able to get him to improve. The way people do it is to place a band-aid across the straight part of the lower leg, making sure no sticky parts remain exposed, and so the legs are the right distance apart.

I would also add a vitamin tonic to the water, if you can get one.

I'm not an expert at leg issues though, so wait for other responses. I agree he should be separated (e.g. in the same brooder but in a small cardboard box, with his own food and water).

good luck,
Erica

he is eating and drinking. I have him in a box seperated but near the other chicks. I just move him close to the water and food when he chirps if he is alone so he sleeps with the others overnight.

To keep him calm and not alone put a small toy in with him. It worked with a abandoned goose baby someone I know found. They put a rubber ducky in with him and he has settled down quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom