What's your favorite chicken breed(s) for pets and/or being affectionate.

What is your favorite chicken breed for being affectionate

• Orpington (Buff, Chocolate, Lavender, etc)

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Brahma

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Old English Game (OEG)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Cornish Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easter Egger (Technically not a breed but still)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Starlight Green Egger

• Prairie Bluebell Egger

• Austrolop

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Sebright (Gold and/or Silver, etc)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Wyandotte (any coloration)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Barnvelder

• Speckled Sussex

• Light Sussex

• Barred Rock

• Dominique

• Leghorn

• Silkie

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Polish

• Other (Specify in comments)

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I love chickens and would like your opinion of your favorite breed(s) that are sweet and affectionate.

Right now some of my favorites are (I plan to add more later):
Easter Egger
Speckled Sussex
OEGB
Silkie
Sebright

That's funny I saw they were not on the list and assumed it's because the goal is identifying "affectionate" breeds. What's your trick?! I've only had RIR's that were jerks.
Not sure. I handed them all the time from Day 1. Always wanted to be near me or on me. Right before they started laying they were very standoffish. I was so sad!!! Once they started laying they went back to being sweet. This is the only flock I've ever had so I have nothing to compare it to. I can handle all of them without fussing. I chose them because we have such high temperatures where we live and I know they tolerate it better than most. I'd love to have some that are super lovey but I'm not sure what could tolerate 90+ days of above 100 degrees during the summers.

2 of my 3 buff laced sebright hens were super friendly. Of course, the best looking one would rather not be seen with me.

Cornish bantam boys are amazing. I've never had a human agressive one, and they love belly and head scratches
Do you have any pictures and more insight on the bantam Cornish? I’m fascinated by their weirder lizard like looks and colors. I saw a bunch at a poultry show and they really intrigued me. They just don’t look very friendly, so I’m curious!

I would definitely say my most affectionate birds have been Ameraucanas and EEs that are part Ameraucana. My roosters love hugs, my hens love to sit on me and preen, and my bantam EEs come sit on my shoulders as soon as I sit down to visit. They’re just such sweet and friendly birds!

My Orpingtons are very calm and love being near me but not as keen on petting and hugging and lap sitting 😆

The other ones I didn’t see up there are d’Uccles and d’Anvers. I have both and the d’Uccles seek out the attention and the d’Anvers let you pick them up and then will sit with you for as long as you let them. Even the boys. I just love the little bearded birds! 😍😍

My d'uccle is the sweetest little thing! When she sees me, she will lower down and do little twirls, which means she wants a cuddle.
This is her doing one...
20220831_122030_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom