What's your favorite dark egg layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Jan 5, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    What's your favorite chicken out of these dark egg layers, based on how freindly they are, the darkness of the egg in hatchery quality birds, and the coloring of the chicken?

Welsummer
    Partridge Pendesca
    Silver Cuckoo Maran
    Black Copper Maran
    and Blue Splash Maran

2. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I have Welsummers and Cuckoo Marans both breeds are from McMurray. Both lay deep copper eggs (not what I would call 'chocolate') Both are laid back and friendly. I think the Marans are a little more docile and quiet and they are a heavier bird and so dual purpose. I am not crazy over egg color. I just like a variety of color in my pens and in my egg carton. My customers love their rainbow filled egg cartons.
    I also have EE's, and brown leghorns and jaerhons as well as several other breeds of brown layers.

3. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I've got a wellie, and I love her to bits for a lot of reasons. I have no experience with any of the others, so my answer is ridiculously bias; welsumer. [​IMG]

4. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    We have Welsummers and Barnevelders (which weren't on your list). I like both, but the Barnies take a LONG time to mature.
    I like the looks of both breeds. The Wellies look like a larger bodied Light Brown Leghorn. The Barnies have the unique double lacing. Their "friendliness" seems about the same, the Wellies maybe a little better - not flighty, but won't let you just pick them up, either.
    Never had Penedesencas, but from what I've read they are very flighty. But, they are supposed to lay very dark eggs.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My Marans are extremely docile and friendly almost to the point of being a nuisance. When I'm in the coop I'm constantly tripping over them, they love to get in front of me STOP and then look up at me expecting a treat of course. When free ranging all the hens come a running when they see me but the Marans when they get close I have to stop or someone is going to end up on the ground. They basically run up and stop almost on my shoes. I have only three.

6. neilgal

neilgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I have Black Copper Marans. Their eggs are very dark, they are also very docile. I never had any of the other breeds from your list so I can't compare. However, I've heard that the BCM's eggs are the darkest . when I am selling my eggs, I like to mix different colors in the carton, so I got some green, tan, white, and dark brown.

7. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Wellsummers are my fav!!! We hatched some of our own welsummer eggs and they are turning out to be beautiful birds and great layers!! They seem more laid back and friendly too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by