1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's your favorite recipe?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickintexas, Nov 13, 2013.

1. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    I added 6 roosters to the freezer a couple of days ago. 5 of them are 20 week old Marans and the 6th is a Australorp that was probably about 8 months old? Not sure since he showed up at my house one day before the meanness and the constant crowing kicked in. I put one of the Marans in the fridge to thaw and rest. I don't want to ruin perfectly good meat by cooking them in cruddy recipes. I'd really like to use an old fashion fried chicken recipe with this bird and find a chicken and dumplings one for the older bird.
    So, what would you do?

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I have an AWESOME Chicken Alfredo Pizza recipe that I use when I have leftover roasted chicken. If you're making soup with the older bird, use the leftovers in this one!

3 lb. Homemade yeast dough
    1 can Ragu Alfredo Sauce
    1 can Cream of Chicken soup
    3-4 Cups Diced Chicken
    4 Sliced Tomatoes
    1 lb. Sliced Baby Portabella Mushrooms
    2 lb. Mozzarella Cheese
    Garlic Powder, onion powder, parsley and basil to taste.

Flatten the dough on pizza pans, mix Alfredo Sauce and cream of chicken soup and spread thickly on unbaked crust.. Top with chicken, mushrooms and sliced tomatoes. Season to your liking. Smother.... and I mean smother.. with mozzarella cheese and bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is browned. (Seriously browned, it adds so much to the flavor)

In my house this makes 2 pizzas, but I am sure if you like thinner crust, and less toppings you could make 3.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I use all my DP roosters in crock pot or dutch oven recipies. With can of cream of mushroom soup, chopped carrots, quartered onions, and potatoes with some seasonings. Always turns out yummy and never tough. Cook low and SLOW is the name of the game with possibly tough meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by