What's your favorite type of roo?

MaggieRae

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Texas
I might be getting a rooster *I really want one!!* and I was curious about what breeds there are. I need a standard since I'll have 8 standard hens. I would prefer a quieter, docile breed... Ok, I need a quieter, docile breed. Can anyone post a pix, or suggest a breed? And tell me some of their better attributes?
smile.png
Thanks so much!

My BO roo was always a sweet, quiet guy until I had to quarantine him for several weeks. From what I've learned on here, he's not really so bad as far as aggressive roos go. But since I don't want him for breeding anymore, and he 's not being 'nice', he is going on vacation. As we speak, he is in a carrier waiting to meet his new mommy. She has been told of his issues but wants him anyway. He's a beautiful guy and made some beautiful babies,though.

Last edited:
I'll tell you that my Easter Egger is not only sweet and quiet, but absolutely gorgeous! Also, my Barred Rock roo is starting to do the whole "Come here and look at the treats I found!" noise. He doesn't struggle too much when I bend down to pick him up, but once I have him, he loves being carried around. Not near as much as the EE does, though. All I have to do with the EE is put my hand down and call him, and he jumps up in my hand and lays down. He has also taken over 100% of the care of the baby chicks. He sleeps on a low roost with them under his wings, and stays around the barn helping them find food and keeping them safe.

Can you tell I
love.gif
my EE??? LOL!

Shelly

I had 5 roos at one point so I'm going to tell you about each one.

Chipmunk(EE)- very pretty, good flock guardian, we have an understanding that as long as he is nice I leave him alone
lol.png

Freddy (BR)-(passed away) A big sweety who would fall a sleep in my lap RIP boy

Romeo(BR)-A big wimp, but has the same understanding as Chipmunk.

Diner(BR)- (butchered) At one time was sweet but became mean.

I want to kill you(BR- and yes that was his name)- (butchered) Mean thing that attacked at any chance.

I have one BR (Shadow) and one RIR (Kobe). The BR is sooo sweet. He makes a bit of a fuss when I pick him up, but once he's on my lap, he settles in for a nap and extends his little neck across my arm. He's only 10 weeks old, so we'll see how long this lasts.
wink.png

The RIR isn't mean, but doesn't really enjoy interaction like the BR. Shadow, the BR, is definitely the #1 guy in the coop. He takes care of the girls and Kobe has taken to bossing around the younger meat birds we have. hehe

My friends silkie roo is really sweet and quiet. Silkies are bantys but theyre bigger and her roo doesnt seem to have problems with the full sized hens.
Plus you cant deny that silkies are rediculously cute
tongue.png

I have an easter egg/Ameraucana rooster that is just gorgeous, but not real bright (but his hens loooooove him).
I guess all these guys count as cockerels actually since they are less than a year.
But the best one is a Partridge Rock. I love Rocks generally (I have barred, buff and partridge hens) and I wanted the classic rooster look, like a Brown Leghorn or a RIR, but I refuse to tolerate a mean rooster. The partridge rock has that classic brown and red and black rooster look, like an old painting, but he is very mellow and very cool.
I have a buff laced polish rooster too, but he is just for looks. He is a great looking guy. Cant see too good because of the feathers on his head, but worth it, because he is just fabulous. If anyone gets eaten by a hawk it will be him...
I would think a Buff Orpington would be a wonderful rooster, too.

My Welsummer is the first roo that has ever made it without going to that big frying pan in the sky. He is kind to the hens, non-aggressive to people & other animals, vigilant, and handsome to boot!

Back
Top Bottom