1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's your hens favorite snack?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by linetangler, Sep 2, 2013.

1. linetangler

linetangler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    Besides there actual food. What does your hens like to eat? I've heard they enjoy scraps from supper cooking. I also heard no citrus. So that being said. What snack food does your chicken love to eat??? We are getting our flock soon and just want them as happy as can be.

2. HanwellChickens

HanwellChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    My girls go crazy for grapes :) It's so much fun to watch them steal them from each other too.

3. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    My chickens will eat.......... everything.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2, my chickens also like strawberries, blueberries, and watermelons. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  5. linetangler

linetangler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Newville, pennsylvania
    Anybody try bananas?

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Surprisingly, they turn there beak up at them. That's one of the only things they won't eat.

7. New Chicken Lad

New Chicken Lad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Northern New Jersey
    NO onions, NO potatoes, NO avocados, NO citrus.. Nothing old or moldy... I personally only feed my girls foods I feed myself & family, nutrient dense nothing processed (ie; kraft macaroni & cheese), I make most everything from scratch and fresh ingredients, no boxes or cans..

My girls (3 buff orps & 1 speckled Sussex) love:
    grapes (I cut them in small pieces, actually I cut everything I give them in small pieces to avoid crop problems)
    cantaloupe
    tomatoes
    bananas
    blueberries
    raisins
    corn
    corn-on-the-cob
    brown rice
    whole wheat pasta
    steel cut rolled oats (cooked for them)
    greek yogurt
    natural applesauce
    no salt cottage cheese
    bread (I don't give them 'bread isle' bread, only if it came from the bakery, you know without preservatives)
    pancakes
    pizza 'bones' (crust from fresh pizza from the local pizzeria, again with no preservatives)
    scrambled eggs w/spinach (yup, their own eggs..only way I can get them to eat greens)
    puffed rice cereal (I buy a brand that is just puffed rice, not any other ingredient)
    puffed wheat cereal (ditto to above)

My girls turn their beaks up to veggies, so just like with children, I hide them in their oatmeal ie; cucumbers in their oatmeal with yogurt, applesauce & corn, spinach in their scrambled eggs as mentioned above... I make them 'dinner' everyday, approximately 3 hours before sun down. This ensures they eat all their chicken feed and whatever bugs, slugs or worms they find in their 800+ square feet penned in area everyday. They finish everything I give them approximately an hour or so before bedtime, and they go night-night with full crops. My husband and I affectionately call them our 'crazy bitches'. We love them so.........
    Best of luck and enjoy, Helen [​IMG]

8. dbaeunn

dbaeunn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2013
    northeast, Pennsylvania
    So far, ours havee eaten everything Ive given them but onions.. && Roost gets awfully mad if I don't have something for them in the AM.

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

They love leftover corn on the cob.

10. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    My chickens like watermelon, kiwi, broccoli, and sweet potatoes.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by