What's your longest incubation? :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckyCharms, Nov 22, 2012.

1. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi!

I know the typical incubation time, as do most. But, I'm curious.

What was the longest time an egg of yours took to hatch?[​IMG]

I went to pull the 30+ eggs today that perished during the temperature spike, and bleach out the bator - only to find one lone little Silkie egg trying to hatch on day 24! She's pretty active so I'm assuming she'll hatch out just fine, but I'm still very surprised this late into the game, especially since they went through a heat spike, not a cold dip.

So...who is your chick that didn't want to leave the security of the egg - and how long did he or she take to finally enter the world? :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My longest was 25 days, under a broody hen. I've spoken to another member here who's eggs still hatched on day 27 after temperature drop.
    Congrats on the Silkie!

3. CluckyCharms

Thank you Sumi - and WOW 27 days!

She is out of her shell now (not sure of the gender, it's impossible for me to tell on Silkies) and she is extremely tiny (about the size of a walnut with legs)...but the eggs themselves were extremely tiny too so it stands to reason that anything coming out of them would be small.

She looks to be a partridge and thus far her toes are curled (most likely due to the heat spike), so I will probably sandal her.

In any case, there's another pipped egg in there now - right beside where she hatched out so I assume she sort of "encouraged" another one.

Now I'm really beginning to wonder how many more viable chicks are in there.

It's a very nice holiday gift on an otherwise very dreary and full-of-accidents Thanksgiving. ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Something good had to happen to you today [​IMG]

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

51 days... lol
    (hey... you didn't specify WHICH kind of bird.. [​IMG]).. most of my emus take around 49 days if I incubate at 97.5ºF... lower temps would take them to about 60 days

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for chickens mine usually hit right on time..

6. CluckyCharms

That....is so....awesome!!! I've always wanted to hatch out an emu or an ostrich (or both) but my biggest fear is not being able to find someone who wants them after they've hatched out (we can't have them in the city).

SO CUTE

7. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Day 25

8. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Day 0. [​IMG]

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Many years ago I cleaned out a broody nest that was on day 25 or so. I ended up having to help the chick out and it did fine. While incubating in an incubator my chicks hatch on days 19-21. As a rule my banties hatch on the earlier side, and I've never had one self hatch on day 22 or after. I candle them and whatnot and then begin cracking. I have several thermometers to make sure the temp in my LG is uniform and check the temp obssesively. If the temp is even throughout the incubator the chicks should hatch uniformly. Any late ones would be weak or unable to hatch themselves out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by