What's your record for eggs/day from one hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OCchickens, Mar 15, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I have a little black bantam who seemed to produce 5 eggs all on the same day last fall. I know she could have been hiding a clutch, but my kids have an easter egg hunt every day & I think they would have found them since they were in a fairly unhidden spot. The banty is the only one who can get out of the run, so no one else could have laid them.

Now today we found 9 eggs in the playhouse! I candled them & they all look very fresh -- very small air cells.

What's the maximum eggs/day people have seen 1 hen lay?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    That should not physically be possible. Every now and then someone gets 2 in one day from a hen because the egg system gets backed up or some other freak thing. An egg takes about 24hrs to make though so to get 5 a day she'd have to not lay for about 5days and the same with 9. It's not possible to make 5eggs all in one day. I also think there would be damage to the hen carrying them around that long and then laying that many in a day. Do you have other hens? She's probably either hiding them or collecting them from the other hens. They will roll eggs into their nest.

3. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Yeah, I thought about whether she could have rolled them out of hiding, but based on the location in this little playhouse, I don't see how she could have done that! And as for the other hens ... she's the only one who can fly out of the run.

It's a mystery!

Anyone with a similar story?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by