Wheat and barley free

superwoman

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Pacific Northwest
I have severe celiac disease. I discovered that it is my contact with the feed and my chicks that has been making me sick again. I have decided to mix my own but there isn't much information on how and what proportions need to be present. Does anyone have good advice?

I was thinking of replacing wheat with buckwheat. I can have millet, quinoa, etc... so buckwheat, oats, corn...

I'm lost! haha

This is an issue I am looking into as well. If you have done a web search, you probably found this blog: http://curtissannmatlock.com/2012/08/09/gluten-free-chicken-feed-ii/, which has a gluten free chicken feed recipe. If you read through, she links to her recipe for baby chicks as well.

I don't have the time or energy to cook for chickens as often as she does, so I'm looking for simpler options. I did find Happy Farmers Ultra Kibble, which is a gf supplement containing lots of protein and trace minerals that the chickens need. My idea is to mix that with lower protein/higher energy grains such as cracked corn and millet to get the right protein balance and make sure to provide grit and oyster shell. The chicks will probably need things ground up a bit, so I've got an old burr grinder for while they're little.

The Ultra Kibble is supposed to simulate what free range chickens get naturally (I can't free range where I am), and I've heard lots of stories from old timers who free range and supplement with scratch, so my plan is based on that model. I can't use store bought scratch, which around here is corn and oats because the American oat supply is gluten contaminated, I believe due to cross pollination with wheat fields. I'm not paying gf oat prices for chicken feed, so I'll use other grains.

I am not avoiding wheat, but thought this might be helpful to you:

I feed organic chick starter that is just soy and corn, with added vitamins and minerals (here is a pic of it- http://www.agwayfeeds.com/agway/en/products/poultry/naturesmart-organic-16-layer-pellet/index.jsp.

I then add grains and seeds, and make sure they always have grass to graze on or green foods for vitamins. I aim for 15% protein for my layers ( I mix in oyster shell and make sure they have grit.) For chicks I just feed the chick starter.

Here:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Feed_ingredients/Proteins.html

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Feed_ingredients/Grains.html

http://www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html

Split peas, black oil sun. seeds, millet, rolled oats, rolled barley, wheat, corn, meat scraps, milk if you have a dairy animal, and roasted soybeans can be fed.

Obviously you don't want the wheat and I don't know what else. Amaranth and quinoa are fine too but wash the quinoa.

Last edited:
Oh and if you haven't tried azurestandard.com you might want to give it a try. I have placed an order and am awaiting its arrival. They have grains and shipping is included for WA state in the prices but it takes a large order - $550 minimum.

You can go in with someone on orders- or groups of people.

It is best to get everything you can from the feed store, however, to save money. Also Winco bulk bins are good. They will sell the whole bag if you call in your order or ask at the store (if they have an extra bag to sell you).

Last edited:
We do feed wheat but I thought I'd tell you how we do things since we feed our own grains. We just dump a bucket of each grain into the grinder or we feed whole depending on what that season brings. We do not measure we just mix according to what we have. some days the chickens will get more of this grain and less of another but in the end it all works out. If we feel like they need more of something we increase that grain. If we don't have a grain we skip it. I get very large eggs and my chickens are healthy. We do feed a little layer but not much. I often question if it's necessary. Right now we are feeding oats, wheat, yellow field peas, and corn. At other times we have fed barley,and lentils (I question this grain). I do suggest feeding a number of different grains with a protein of around %14 to %18. You can feed meat to the chickens to increase the protein too. If I were you I'd just buy 4 or 5 bags of different grains and feed that. Fyi, Horse feed does not contain wheat.

We do feed wheat but I thought I'd tell you how we do things since we feed our own grains. We just dump a bucket of each grain into the grinder or we feed whole depending on what that season brings. We do not measure we just mix according to what we have. some days the chickens will get more of this grain and less of another but in the end it all works out. If we feel like they need more of something we increase that grain. If we don't have a grain we skip it. I get very large eggs and my chickens are healthy. We do feed a little layer but not much. I often question if it's necessary. Right now we are feeding oats, wheat, yellow field peas, and corn. At other times we have fed barley,and lentils (I question this grain). I do suggest feeding a number of different grains with a protein of around %14 to %18. You can feed meat to the chickens to increase the protein too. If I were you I'd just buy 4 or 5 bags of different grains and feed that. Fyi, Horse feed does not contain wheat.

Lentils are OK raw but I would feed in smaller quantities, since they have tannins and more anti-nutrients than split peas. Split peas are OK raw.

Just thought I'd chime in with this...hope nobody minds.

Are pigeon peas the right kind of split pea to feed chickens?

Saying that they are okay raw...does that mean one shouldn't feed cooked peas, or that both are okay?

Are pigeon peas the right kind of split pea to feed chickens?

Saying that they are okay raw...does that mean one shouldn't feed cooked peas, or that both are okay?

Pigeon peas might be Austrian peas - and if they are (which I don't know)- my chickens don't like them, the squirrels don't like them, the wild birds don't like them, and I am now resorting to sprouting them and letting them eat the shoots (throwing them on the ground, in other words). So here is my advice- only buy a small quantity to try LOL.

You can feed cooked beans and peas to poultry- no problem.

Back
Top Bottom