Wheaten/blue wheaten/splash?

schambo

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Atlantic Canada
I haven’t been able to find a clear answer on Google. Are these two 6 m/o Ameraucana pullets blue wheaten, wheaten, or splash? Obviously they’re two different, and I think the dark one is blue? Ignore Chickaletta, the white barnyard mix photobomber haha

IMG_9948.jpeg
IMG_9947.jpeg
IMG_9942.jpeg
IMG_9963.jpeg

Last edited:
The one in front of the second picture and the middle of the last picture is none of those. She's some kind of what looks like partridge-based blue mixed color, not a true breeding variety.

The one in front in the first picture and on the left in the other pictures looks closer to proper coloring, and I think based on what I'm seeing that she's a Splash Wheaten. Pretty sure I'm seeing some white in her tail feathers that makes me suspect that.

Pretty birds! :love

The one in front of the second picture and the middle of the last picture is none of those. She's some kind of what looks like partridge-based blue mixed color, not a true breeding variety.

The one in front in the first picture and on the left in the other pictures looks closer to proper coloring, and I think based on what I'm seeing that she's a Splash Wheaten. Pretty sure I'm seeing some white in her tail feathers that makes me suspect that.

Pretty birds! :love
I put a better picture of the darker bird in the original post. I’d be pretty surprised if she were anything but wheaten/blue/splash, because I’m pretty sure the breeder she came from only breeds those birds, but you never know.

Also, what’s the difference between wheaten and splash?

Wheaten females have a much softer coloration, even plain Wheaten and Blue Wheaten. For example, here is a Wheaten hen from Ameraucana.org's photo gallery:

1705764861917.jpeg

And a Blue Wheaten hen from the same site:

1705764908933.jpeg

Your darker hen looks more like she's genetically partridge-based (e^b) than wheaten-based (E^Wh) like Wheaten should be to me, but I'm no expert there. Partridge is recessive to wheaten, so maybe some of the breeder's birds happen to carry it and she just inherited the wrong genes? She's definitely not a proper Wheaten, anyway.

The difference between Wheaten and Splash Wheaten? They are genetically the same base pattern, the difference simply being that one has a dilution gene and the other does not. Splash is caused by the blue dilution gene; if a bird has one copy of the gene, then black plumage is diluted to a blue-gray, and if a bird has two copies of the gene, then that blue color is diluted further to a whitish color with some blue-gray 'splashes'. On Wheaten, as you can see from the pictures I've attached, hens only have a bit of black in their tail feathers and maybe a tiny bit in their wing feathers as well. That means that your only real way of telling on a hen is looking at the tail feathers to see if they are black, bluish, or whitish. Since your one pullet appears to have whitish tail feathers, that's why I guessed she's Splash Wheaten.

Unless you meant regular Splash, not Splash Wheaten?

Back
Top Bottom