Wheaten genetics? Help!

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
A question for those of you who know a thing or two about genetics...

If I were to cross my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo with a Wheaten Penedesenca hen to create Olive Eggers, would the resulting chicks be visually Wheaten colored? Meaning would the paring produce "true" wheaten colored chicks with EVERY mating? If so, I could start my own Wheaten Olive Egger project!
big_smile.png

Also, one of the reasons I chose Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas was because you usually can feather sex them at a much earlier age than the other varieties. This is also (mostly) true with other wheaten birds, due to the different colored adult plumage of the adult birds. Would this trait be carried through to the Olive Egger chicks as well?

Thanks!

(cross posted to the Olive Egger thread.)

Last edited by a moderator:
When you cross a Blue Wheaten to a Wheaten--
You should get Blue Wheaten, Wheaten and Wheaten Sports/(Splash).

Chris

The won't be exactly the same as there are some different genetics between the breeds; I think the penedesenca is a darker variety. But theoretically you would get wheaten and blue wheaten chicks from that cross.

You would not get any splash wheaten unless you breed blue wheaten to blue wheaten.

I would say if you were able to feather sex your penes early then you should be able to do it on the cross bred chicks.

Thanks Jean! The cockerel I hatched from your eggs is going to be the sire of these chicks.
smile.png

I wasn't sure about the blue color being visible in the resulting chicks, that the gene might get lost in the crossing. But you feel like there would be some BW offspring though?

How pretty, a BW Olive Egger!
big_smile.png

pips&peeps :

The won't be exactly the same as there are some different genetics between the breeds; I think the penedesenca is a darker variety. But theoretically you would get wheaten and blue wheaten chicks from that cross.

You would not get any splash wheaten unless you breed blue wheaten to blue wheaten.

I would say if you were able to feather sex your penes early then you should be able to do it on the cross bred chicks.

That's right, you would just get Blue Wheaten and Wheaten.. For some reason I was typed Blue Wheaten but I thinking Blue genetics...

Chris​

Back
Top Bottom