wheaten silver columbian whites

Looking at juvenile plumage of the Light Sussex shows some partridge patterning on the backs. But not all chicks will leak pattern in juvenile plumage.

But I can do some more digging around, to double check.

I don't know tons about the breed.

I'm not an expert on dominant white, but I know that it's abit difficult to prevent leakage of certain colors, like red, or occasionally black.

I believe black helps the dominant white color be more even, & have less leakage. I maybe wrong though, but not quite sure.
i am not an expert enough in genetics, also i haven't rais or breed any bartidge varities in the past, light suusex, yes i hatched them, they are yellowish white chicks, no strips
actually i got my knowledges from this forums, i read many many threads and follow every relpys, so most of the said that speckeld sussex is e+, while light sussex ewh...

i am not an expert enough in genetics, also i haven't rais or breed any bartidge varities in the past, light suusex, yes i hatched them, they are yellowish white chicks, no strips
actually i got my knowledges from this forums, i read many many threads and follow every relpys, so most of the said that speckeld sussex is e+, while light sussex ewh...
I'm still learning too.

Light Sussex is one I just haven't learned much about. I guess the breed has really hasn't been much of an interest.

I read Genetics forums here, & from other chicken sites, articles/studies.

The traditional way (even before people understood how the genes work) is to just breed from the most completely white birds in each generation.

The Ii birds (heterozygous Dominant White) are more likely to have bits of black leaking through, and the II homozygous birds are more likely to be completely free of black. If you want to be sure, you can test-mate individual birds to ii birds (Light Sussex father or Rhode Island red would be suitable mates for testing.) If a given bird produces any chicks that show i then of course they have i, but producing 6-8 chicks that all have I is a pretty good indicator of being homozygous for I. (If you're not familiar with calculating probabilities, the chance of getting that many chicks with I from an Ii bird is 1 in 128 for 6 chicks, 1 in 256 for 7 chicks, 1 in 512 for 8 chicks. The more chicks you hatch, the more sure you can be.)

For the red leakage, if you have any birds with no red leakage, you could obviously choose to breed from them. Just hatching a large number of chicks in your second generation might yield some with no red leakage.

If your original Light Sussex rooster does not show leakage, you could cross daughters back to him, and pick the offspring (both sexes) that have no red leakage. That cross could potentially give you some Ii birds with no red leakage (might show bits of black leakage), and then you would breed those together to get some II birds (hopefully with no red leakage or black leakage.)

Many breeds have the main color genes that we know about, plus some other genes that are not named or properly understood that modify the expression of the main ones. Crossing back to either parent breed could pick up more of those unknown modifiers (probably more useful on the Light Sussex side than the Sexlink side, but might be useful either way.)
yes you are right
but you know, breeding each white outcome to coloured chicken and then note the results, thats need long time, and more chicks, cares, feeds etc
i just want to know if there any tricks or something can differentiate homozygous dominant white
about red leakage
2016 i got whites from isa brown hens x their brothers " brassy white red shoulder roosters" when they became adults, red leakage appears in the hens, they look like amber link hens,
so why light sussex are clear white silver, no red shoulder or any red/yellow leakage?
i am sure there is something suppress or block the autosomal red in light sussex and other silver colubian like delaware, columbian rock, etc,

2016 i got whites from isa brown hens x their brothers " brassy white red shoulder roosters" when they became adults, red leakage appears in the hens, they look like amber link hens,
so why light sussex are clear white silver, no red shoulder or any red/yellow leakage?
i am sure there is something suppress or block the autosomal red in light sussex and other silver colubian like delaware, columbian rock, etc,

It's not Autosomal Red that makes those Silver Columbian hens look like Amber links, it's Mahogany and it's a simple dominant autosomal mutation(Mh) So getting rid of it it's quite straight forward(breed the ones that don't show red leakage)

It's not Autosomal Red that makes those Silver Columbian hens look like Amber links, it's Mahogany and it's a simple dominant autosomal mutation(Mh) So getting rid of it it's quite straight forward(breed the ones that don't show red leakage)
according to Brian Reed
mahogny enhances autosomal red, and, not affected by Sliver,
Columbian extends the gold into breast and the body, rather than restrict the black * also Brian Reed
so, should be no red leakage in the breast or the body, but actually there is,
actually i got confused after reading Brian Reeds blog

yes you are right
but you know, breeding each white outcome to coloured chicken and then note the results, thats need long time, and more chicks, cares, feeds etc
i just want to know if there any tricks or something can differentiate homozygous dominant white
Heterozygous Dominant White (on a black chicken) is used for "paint" Silkies who have lots of black blotches. It is also found in some hybrid chickens, such as California White (that are mostly white with some black dots.)

So looking for any black leakage can be a way to recognize heterozygotes. I do not know whether some heterozygotes can be pure white, or whether all heterozygotes will show some black. But just looking for the most white/least black on each chicken is probably the best way to tell them apart.

I agree that test-mating requires lots of time, labor, feed, and so forth. Your project will certainly be easier and faster if you can avoid that. But if you find that heterozygotes and homozygotes in your flock are able to look identical, it's good to be aware that this option exists.

about red leakage

I'm sure there is a genetic cause for this, but even without knowing what the gene is called, you can select for what you want.

You know what it looks like, and you know the Light Sussex has the right genes for this. So breeding the Sexlinks to Light Sussex, and maybe breeding daughters back to the Light Sussex rooster, would be the way to produce some chickens without red leakage. Once you have any with no red, of course you will select those ones to breed the next generation.

Back
Top Bottom