Wheels for portable coop?

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
I made a portable coop but I still need to put wheels on in to move it around. Any ideas on what wheels to use for it?

You can buy some fairly inexpensive pneumatic tires at places like Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight. The little plastic lawn mower-type tires will not roll as easily.

I found some really cheap 8 inch lawnmower tires at the Habitat for Humanity building supply store ( $1.50 each) so I could not pass them up. My plan had been to look for a cheap jogging stroller on craigslist or at a garage sale and use those. I think they would roll nicely, but I did not get a chance to try them.

It depends on how heavy your tractor is. I used stroller wheels at first and worked find until I put the wood coop on it, was and is again a plastic play house turned into a coop. The wheels slowly collapsed under the weight of the wood coop. I found old dolly (hand truck) tires for free, air tires, for the coop side and purchased 8 in. universal wheels on light side.

I just bought wheels yesterday! I had a menards rebate check, I ended up getting 8" steel wheels with ball bearing inserts, but they were $7.99 each. My tractor is all 2x4 and plywood construction, so it's rather heavy and wanted wheels that could hold up moving it everyday. With the correct size lag bolts total was just under 18 bucks I think, bought a few other odd's and ends so tax could be off.

188508Filllg.jpg

Here's the tires I went with http://flatfreeusa.com/18-x-8.50-8-Air-Filled-Tire.html

Not cheap, but they serve my application very well. If you have a heavy tractor, need to move it over loose soil, need to move it very far, or a combination of all 3, taller and wider tires are better.

This tire is a 2 ply rubber tire with tube. It comes standard with a 3.25" centered hub and 1" roller bearings. Other bearing sizes available. Not for highway use.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Tire Specs
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Tire Diameter: 17.5"
Tire Width: 8.5"
Tread: Ribbed
Hub Length: 3.25" centered hub
Bearing Size Options: 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1"
Load Capacity: 500 lbs [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
The trick is mounting them. I have seen a few good ideas for mounting the wheels on an apparatus that rotates under the coop. That way the coop will sit flat, discouraging animals from digging, but also will allow for good ground clearance when moving. I think that it is the case for many that the coop ends up much heavier than originally guessed.

I got a pair of wheels from a contractors lawnmower- designed for the operator to ride- so good and heavy. They came complete with iron brackets even had holes already drilled so I can bolt them to the side of coop with lag bolts and roll away. Just need to decide when to use and how.
Possibly a temporary coop during summer to share the grass and not have to move the permanent coop location.
Got the wheels first and will design the rest around them.

Back
Top Bottom