Wheels for prefab coop

Apr 29, 2020
Southern New England
Hi Everyone! This is my first post here, however I have found this site an invaluable resource in the months since I brought my chicks home. I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can purchase wheels and a handle to attach to a 4x6' Amish built prefab chicken coop? Unfortunately, I do not know the weight of the coop. When I asked, the best answer I received was, "It is heavier than it looks," and the company is now unresponsive. Any guidance on the wheels would be greatly appreciated!

Your local hardware store -- not the big-box chain, but the local place -- is likely to either carry wheels or be able to order them. They may also have someone with the expertise to help you choose the best wheel and the best mounting option.

I agree with previous poster, it would likely be good to get advice on where/how to place the wheels and handle. I’m sure that Amish-built is higher quality than most prefab, but the prefab (non Amish) coop that’s I bought last year definitely would not have held up being moved around much at all. I hope yours is better quality!

Hi Everyone! This is my first post here, however I have found this site an invaluable resource in the months since I brought my chicks home. I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can purchase wheels and a handle to attach to a 4x6' Amish built prefab chicken coop? Unfortunately, I do not know the weight of the coop. When I asked, the best answer I received was, "It is heavier than it looks," and the company is now unresponsive. Any guidance on the wheels would be greatly appreciated!
Please post some pics, inside and out, of your coop.
I'm guessing that it's pretty darn heavy...too heavy to move easily, if at all, by hand.
Might be better off putting skids under it and using a tractor to haul it.
Why and how often do you want to move it?
What does the ground that you want to move it across look like?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @The Gardening Chick
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1594415256014.png

Thank you for the responses! I will try a local hardware store.

I also plan to insulate, at least the roof, and add more ventilation above the windows before I move it to its new location, for the current ease of access. In its new location, the larger door will be about two feet away from my foundation.

The coop was delivered almost a month late with the wrong specifications, doors on the wrong sides, (during pandemic, so waiting for another one while my pullets lived in my basement laundry room was out of the question!) I had prepared an area with the intention of the chicken door being on the right and larger door on the left (facing the windows from the outside.) Due to the limited space on the right side for a run, I now have to relocate
the coop to accommodate the error. When the coop was delivered, I thought there would be a way that I could make it work - but everything in its current configuration is a tripping hazard. Also, since the chickens are directed under their coop to get to and from the actual run, that is where they stay during severe storms, even if it floods - which is a scary situation for me since I am unable to reach them. The company I purchased it from is only working remotely and not responding to calls or emails; they barely responded to my calls after the estimated lead time was up. It would be physically impossible for me to even lift or shift a corner of the coop on my own, but the two delivery guys were able to wrestle it into place while sliding it on 4x4s - it was not pretty.

The coop would likely move to the new location, about 20-30 feet down a gentle slope and 90 degrees from where it currently sits, for a year or so until I move to another house and plan bring the coop with me.

20200524_171712.jpg 20200515_171604.jpg image000002(2).jpg 20200515_171636.jpg

Holy cluck, that coop is beautiful but sure looks heavy! We recently built a new one and it took four people valiant efforts to move it from our garage to our back yard, and that was with most of the outside walls still missing! Granted, we used some heavy duty lumber but yours doesn’t look too far off from that.
Just a thought on insulation - I don’t know how cold it gets in your area, but I wonder if insulating the walls would be better than doing the roof? Insulating stinks because you have to then put another piece of wood, like plywood, over your insulating layer. The birds eat insulation. I don’t know why. But they do. Mine were complete idiots and it was their fave snack.

Back
Top Bottom